Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apap resolving central events?
apap resolving central events?
does anyone have any idea by what mechanism(s) apap resolved much of my central apnea? 

following a 1987 polysomnography, I was diagnosed with mild to moderate central sleep apnea.  following a 2016 at-home sleep study, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea even though I had nearly equal clear or central and obstructive events that night (72.7 ahi; 196 ca, 204 oa and a few hypopnea; low sao2 in low 70%s).  as I got older and heavier, oa crept up on me over the years, while ca is still a significant presence.  

apap helped a lot (but not enough & I'm now using an asv, but still curious about this), bringing my ahi down to about 5 or 6 with fewer residual events of all types.     

cpap, apap aren't supposed to be capable of handling ca, so how, why did apap reduce my ca about as much as my oa? it doesn't seem likely that both a psg and an at-home test could have mis-identified that many ca events.

my sleep doc at that time couldn't or wouldn't explain this.  

has anyone had a similar experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apap resolving central events?
No clue. I would guess that the reduction in obstructive events improved your blood oxygen levels enough to help. Maybe an external source of oxygen would do the same thing. I don't think the oxygen is a cure but it could be a lack of oxygen causes the clear apnea condition to become worse. Than again maybe not.

Dont-know
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apap resolving central events?
I haven't learned the mechanics of breathing but that sounds reasonable WW.

OTOH, while it's been too many years to mean much, in 1987 or 1988 I did a second overnight in the sleep lab with O2 blown up my nose to no effect. diamox over several months had no effect either.

I have a vague sense that the answer to this might be important to the art and science of titration. OTOH, if that was true you'd think the literature would reflect that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,309 Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,669 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,570 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,223 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 192 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 147 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 204 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.