Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

soft cervical collar replaces cpap?
RE: soft cervical collar replaces cpap?
I think I see your point, Sleeprider.  Something we are often willing to do is venture into areas of sleep wellness.  But these are really not on topic - not directly a consequence of or treatment variables for sleep apnea.  As such, I would not do stuff like stretch topics into dreaming, REM and NREM, how to spot purposeful breath holding, pain reactions, and other valuable hints on sleeping calmly.  And, I would not talk about COPD in absence of apnea, snoring in absence of apnea, Afib, pulmonary edema, diabetes, etc.

That takes some discipline, and I am not practiced at it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning Smile 
First of all, thank you all very much for your feedback/responses/engagement!
May I ask a moderator to change the title of this thread to "soft cervical collar can help but not replace cpap"? This is only to avoid misinterpretation, because I really thought, that this can happen, but it did not.

To my data personally: I am 60, male, 85kg, bmi is between 27-28, I am diabetics typ I since about 45 years (injecting insulin since that time).

My intention was to replace cpap by the soft cervical collar, but it does not work. So I shall send next informations by making another thread and will call this "my leckage problems".

My problems are:
- large leckages by using the N-20 Airfit nasal mask, but feeling well with this mask.
- no or nearly no leackages with the F-20 Fullface-Mask, but i always awake because of leaking/noise, which is not manifested in sleepyhead. there is air coming out on bottom of the mask (mouth area)
- P10 pillow mask, i cannot use, do not get it tight
- most probably I am mouth breather..in night, even if I do not realize it..
- I do not have a doctor to talk running problems...

what did i solve in meantime:
- AHI is rather good in last weeks
- cervial collar reduces large leckages, but does not bring it to zero
- most time i feel much better in morning (there are some execptions like today!)

I shall send data in the new thread tomorrow, because I have to leave now for business.
Thanks Christian

PS: sorry for my english, my mother tongue is german (i am from Austria....haha, there is a song with this title...)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm running the f20 with max 25cm
I loosen the top straps of the f20 till it leaks around the nose. Then tighten till it just stops.
do you have teeth or gums, it is a bit different, but either way, you tighten the mask bottom straps till you feel the lump of silicone pushing on your cheeks, into your gums/teeth a bit with your mouth slightly open 10mm. You will feel this easier with your tongue than I can describe it.
repeat the top strap and bottom strap adjustment again.
your machine should have a mask fit function that blows a higher pressure to fit the mask. also check the mask fit link in my signature
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I could solve my leckage problem, using the N-20 Nasal Mask and taping. I did this last night and there were no more large leaks. So i do not make a new leckage thread as anounced.
http://imgur.com/a/GfC3z

@ajack: thank you, I read all your tipps and also links how to solve lecks. I get 2 samples of mask liners from US, sent free of charge. I shall try out with F-20. Personally, I am happy with the n-20 nasal mask and taping at the moment. (like the N-20 more) Hopfully, me body gets trained on breathing with the tape (I awake when I try to breath with mouth after hours of sleeping without mouthbreathing, therefore I know now definitly that it is mouth breathing, what causes my large lecks).
Some people told, that they could stopp taping after a while, when the body is used to breath in other way...
Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks are fixed and the AHI if good, see how the CA go in a month, even if they hang around it's not an issue.. I'd just bring up the breath rate and tidal volume next time you see your doctor, you may do better on a BPAP
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 219 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 533 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.