Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

soft cervical collar replaces cpap?
I think I see your point, Sleeprider.  Something we are often willing to do is venture into areas of sleep wellness.  But these are really not on topic - not directly a consequence of or treatment variables for sleep apnea.  As such, I would not do stuff like stretch topics into dreaming, REM and NREM, how to spot purposeful breath holding, pain reactions, and other valuable hints on sleeping calmly.  And, I would not talk about COPD in absence of apnea, snoring in absence of apnea, Afib, pulmonary edema, diabetes, etc.

That takes some discipline, and I am not practiced at it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning Smile 
First of all, thank you all very much for your feedback/responses/engagement!
May I ask a moderator to change the title of this thread to "soft cervical collar can help but not replace cpap"? This is only to avoid misinterpretation, because I really thought, that this can happen, but it did not.

To my data personally: I am 60, male, 85kg, bmi is between 27-28, I am diabetics typ I since about 45 years (injecting insulin since that time).

My intention was to replace cpap by the soft cervical collar, but it does not work. So I shall send next informations by making another thread and will call this "my leckage problems".

My problems are:
- large leckages by using the N-20 Airfit nasal mask, but feeling well with this mask.
- no or nearly no leackages with the F-20 Fullface-Mask, but i always awake because of leaking/noise, which is not manifested in sleepyhead. there is air coming out on bottom of the mask (mouth area)
- P10 pillow mask, i cannot use, do not get it tight
- most probably I am mouth breather..in night, even if I do not realize it..
- I do not have a doctor to talk running problems...

what did i solve in meantime:
- AHI is rather good in last weeks
- cervial collar reduces large leckages, but does not bring it to zero
- most time i feel much better in morning (there are some execptions like today!)

I shall send data in the new thread tomorrow, because I have to leave now for business.
Thanks Christian

PS: sorry for my english, my mother tongue is german (i am from Austria....haha, there is a song with this title...)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm running the f20 with max 25cm
I loosen the top straps of the f20 till it leaks around the nose. Then tighten till it just stops.
do you have teeth or gums, it is a bit different, but either way, you tighten the mask bottom straps till you feel the lump of silicone pushing on your cheeks, into your gums/teeth a bit with your mouth slightly open 10mm. You will feel this easier with your tongue than I can describe it.
repeat the top strap and bottom strap adjustment again.
your machine should have a mask fit function that blows a higher pressure to fit the mask. also check the mask fit link in my signature
new user http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
From machine or sleepyhead, set the min CPAP 1cm below median pressure. Or 2cm below 90/95%. max at 20cm for now. Forum will help you fine tune settings
Post Reply Post Reply

I could solve my leckage problem, using the N-20 Nasal Mask and taping. I did this last night and there were no more large leaks. So i do not make a new leckage thread as anounced.
http://imgur.com/a/GfC3z

@ajack: thank you, I read all your tipps and also links how to solve lecks. I get 2 samples of mask liners from US, sent free of charge. I shall try out with F-20. Personally, I am happy with the n-20 nasal mask and taping at the moment. (like the N-20 more) Hopfully, me body gets trained on breathing with the tape (I awake when I try to breath with mouth after hours of sleeping without mouthbreathing, therefore I know now definitly that it is mouth breathing, what causes my large lecks).
Some people told, that they could stopp taping after a while, when the body is used to breath in other way...
Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks are fixed and the AHI if good, see how the CA go in a month, even if they hang around it's not an issue.. I'd just bring up the breath rate and tidal volume next time you see your doctor, you may do better on a BPAP
new user http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
From machine or sleepyhead, set the min CPAP 1cm below median pressure. Or 2cm below 90/95%. max at 20cm for now. Forum will help you fine tune settings
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blockage during exhale - Uvula/Soft Palate mikemky 50 29,172 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Doza
  Neck collar substitute? HalfAsleep 6 159 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Cervical not working? Try this. Walla Walla 1 150 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile soft cervical collar christian4870 3 284 07-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Last Post: chill
  Cervical Collar did the job Walla Walla 5 315 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question Resmed Air Mini reaction soft christian4870 4 528 07-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Dry mouth even with taped mouth and cervical collar st8800 16 838 07-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: robysue