Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hair Cut Affects Mask Fit
Hair Cut Affects Mask Fit
Hi everyone:

I've had a very strange issue for the almost ten years I've been using CPAP: about 4 weeks after I get my hair cut, I start having pain in my upper jaw. I assume this means that my hair's grown thick enough that my strap is too tight. The problem is, if I loosen it enough to feel comfortable, I tend to get leaks.

The result has been that I get my hair cut every 4 weeks, to eliminate the problem. But this is too frequent. My hair has gotten shorter and shorter, and sometimes I've gone in for a cut and had the stylist say, "I'm not sure what you want me to do here."

This has improved since I got a DreamWear mask last year - I've gone up to two months between hair cuts, and it's grown out a fair bit. (I was using Zest or Mirage FX before - all had the same problem.)

But now I'm having the pain just three weeks after a trim. It makes me feel dopey too - not unlike a high AHI night, though that is not the problem.

Any advice here? Both my sleep doctor and machine/mask supplier have just told me to adjust my mask, but as I say, I can't seem to find a good compromise there.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hair Cut Affects Mask Fit
My hair definitely affects how my masks fit. Since I have long hair, it causes the headgear to slide off/around, which causes leakage.

I've had to figure out how best to wear my hair, to make each mask fit the best.

I've assumed men have it easier, with shorter and pokier hair to not be so slippery.

But yeah, I can definitely understand your predicament. I wonder if it changes the angle of the straps the tiniest bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hair Cut Affects Mask Fit
I have noticed a similar thing when I get my hair cut. I have short hair and even that affects how my mask fits after a hair cut. I try to time it so I can change my long, short hoses and mask thereby hoping to avoid the 'adjustments' I need to do. I have not noticed any pain elsewhere in my face, but I can understand your frustrations.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 910 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  F&P Evora Full With Facial Hair DreamerDude 2 956 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: DreamerDude
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,318 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,888 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medication affects on OSCAR data coldfeet7 1 513 03-20-2022, 10:50 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  Which pressure setting most affects aerophagia? KallyA 8 1,342 06-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.