Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

some new problems with my nasal pillows
RE: some new problems with my nasal pillows
Ideally, you keep the air from leaking out of your mouth with your tongue, not your lips. Keep your jaw closed, and keep the tongue pressed against the roof of your mouth. Your cheeks shouldn't puff out, and your shouldn't have any pressure on your lips.

The idea of the chin straps is mostly to keep your jaw closed. If your jaw opens, your tongue tends to come down from the roof of your mouth and let air out.

It may help to consciously press your tongue against the roof of your mouth behind your front teeth as you settle down to sleep.

Try this and open your lips for a second to get a feeling for what you're trying to achieve. No air should come out. Then close your lips, you do want them closed during the night.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been trying to keep my tongue forward and up against the roof of my mouth the last couple nights (except tonight-- I'm up doing work) and I think it's been helping. I'm pretty confident now it's just a matter of training to get the nasal pillows to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try upping your low pressure to 6 or 7. I know it sounds strange but the higher the pressure to a point, the more it forces my mouth to stay closed. Also play around with your pressure relief settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.