Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] A10 Autoset and CA events?
RE: [split] A10 Autoset and CA events?
(04-23-2015, 08:19 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Old82, good to see you got the right machine at last. Your options are Resmed Aircurve ASV, Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt (superseded) or Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced. The PR machine is highly configurable with lots of settings you can tweak. On the other hand the Resmeds are more automatic, where the machine handles all the tweaks for you.

I tried the PR for a couple of months and couldn't adapt to it - it felt like the machine was forcing me to adapt to its pace. On the other hand the Resmed is much more gentle and adapts to me rather than the other way around. I couldn't get an AHI below about 15 with the PR but seldom go above 1 with the Resmed. However other people have had the opposite experience, so if possible, try both machines and see which works best for you.

The ASV machine feels quite different from a CPAP or APAP, as it adjusts with every breath and can respond to an apnea in a split second. It might take a bit to get used to but the results can be amazing.

G'dayto you Deepbreathing. Thanks for comments on machines. Wiill know soon which machine I will be getting and hoping for a ResMed since I have their other machine and the software to read results. Will know this week I hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 01:55 PM)old82 Wrote: So ...bottom line...she is really correct that the machine can't really differentiate between central and obstructive but they "brag" that it does based on information my doc claims is insufficient without a sleep lab study.

NO.

It's not a complete lie, but she's $plitting hair$ to justify sucking more money out of your pocket. That's how the medical mafia works.

The in lab $leep te$t is better in some ways, but the in-home data is still valuable and is accurate if you take the time to learn to learn how to interpret it. You have to learn to read in-lab sleep tests, too.

In-home CPAP data can clearly show your therapy is working well, or that it's not working right. In some cases, it's not clear. It's not that hard to learn to see the difference.

The same is true for an in-lab test as well. Sometimes the data isn't that clear. Sometimes, you don't sleep the same in the lab as you do at home. You may only have apnea in REM sleep, but may not get REM sleep or deep sleep in the lab.

It's inexcusable for a doctor to ignore home CPAP data. That is a bit like treating a diabetic but only looking at the results of more detailed tests done once a year in the doctor's office, and not bothering to check blood sugar at home.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 07:44 AM)zonk Wrote: ResMed adamant that S9 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet can detect/distinguish between obstructive and central apnea and treat them differently

There is a white paper link somewhere which I cannot find right now but here is a short explanation:
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...toset.html

Going to bed .... goodnight
Sleep-well

Here is the link for the white paper: http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/documen...-paper.pdf

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 10:50 AM)archangle Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 01:55 PM)old82 Wrote: So ...bottom line...she is really correct that the machine can't really differentiate between central and obstructive but they "brag" that it does based on information my doc claims is insufficient without a sleep lab study.

NO.

It's not a complete lie, but she's $plitting hair$ to justify sucking more money out of your pocket. That's how the medical mafia works.

The in lab $leep te$t is better in some ways, but the in-home data is still valuable and is accurate if you take the time to learn to learn how to interpret it. You have to learn to read in-lab sleep tests, too.

In-home CPAP data can clearly show your therapy is working well, or that it's not working right. In some cases, it's not clear. It's not that hard to learn to see the difference.

The same is true for an in-lab test as well. Sometimes the data isn't that clear. Sometimes, you don't sleep the same in the lab as you do at home. You may only have apnea in REM sleep, but may not get REM sleep or deep sleep in the lab.

It's inexcusable for a doctor to ignore home CPAP data. That is a bit like treating a diabetic but only looking at the results of more detailed tests done once a year in the doctor's office, and not bothering to check blood sugar at home.

I agree archangel. Seems to me that when the machine combines all the info it looks at...flow limitation/flow/minute ventilation/pressure and snore etc it should be able to differentiate between OA and CA. Thanks for your input.

For paytonA....thanks for the white paper link. Very interesting.

OLD82
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,280 8 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 192 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 200 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 109 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 150 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 194 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,549 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.