Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] AHI Score Does Not Go Down on CPAP
[split] AHI Score Does Not Go Down on CPAP
I'VE BEEN USING CPAP NIGHTLY FOR ABOUT 5 STRAIGHT YEARS - DIAGNOSED ABOUT 8-9 YEARS AGO BUT TOOK ME QUITE A WHILE TO ADJUST TO THE MASK AND THE PRESSURE. ORIGINALLY THE PRESSURE WAS SET AT 10, THEN 11 AND LAST YEAR IT WAS UPPED TO 12 BECAUSE I WAS STILL HAVING AHI'S THAT WERE NOT IMPROVING. MY DOCTOR WANTS IN 5 OR BELOW. LAST YEAR IT WAS A BIT OVER 6, AND A FEW MONTHS AGO IT WENT UP TO 7 EVENTS/HOUR AND TODAY IT WAS UP TO 8 AHI'S! I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I HAVE BEEN COMPLYING 100% WITH THIS THERAPY FOR A SOLID 5 YEARS AND STILL DON'T HAVE THE NUMBERS DOWN TO 5. I'VE EVEN LOST ABOUT 25 LBS. SINCE STARTING CPAP THERAPY AND HAVE CHANGES MASKS SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE A NEWER MACHINE BUT MY NUMBERS DON'T IMPROVE. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH AIR LEAKS VERY OFTEN - BUT I DO MOVE AROUND A LOT WHEN I SLEEP AND ADJUST MY MASK QUITE OFTEN TO MAKE IT MORE COMFORTABLE. I ALSO HAVE INSOMNIA AND MOST NIGHTS IT WILL TAKE 1-2 HOURS TO FALL ASLEEP EVEN AFTER PUTTING THE MASK ON. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? STILL SO TIRED DURING THE DAY; FEEL LIKE I'M FIGHTING A LOSING BATTLE! I WAS ALSO RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH MODERATE COPD (BY MY SLEEP MEDICINE DOCTOR AFTER YEARS OF COMPLAINING TO HIM ABOUT MY CONSTANT FATIGUE AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH WITH MY SLEEP APNEA) I ALSO SUFFER FROM CHRONIC SINUSITIS AND HAVE ACID REFLUX. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Score Does Not Go Down on CPAP
Please don't write in all upper case, and consider the odd paragraph break. I gave up reading your message because my old eyes just get all mixed up trying, and I read a *lot*. If you have some kind of handicap that prevents this then please accept my apology in advance.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI KEEPS GOING UP WITH CPAP USE!!!
Try this:
(08-23-2016, 01:35 PM)jennie54 Wrote: I've been using cpap nightly for about 5 straight years - diagnosed about 8-9 years ago but took me quite a while to adjust to the mask and the pressure.

Originally the pressure was set at 10, then 11 and last year it was upped to 12 because I was still having AHI's that were not improving. My doctor wants it 5 or below. Last year it was a bit over 6, and a few months ago it went up to 7 events/hour and today it was up to 8 AHI's!

I don't understand how I have been complying 100% with this therapy for a solid 5 years and still don't have the numbers down to 5. I've even lost about 25 lbs since starting cpap therapy and have changed masks several times and have a newer machine but my numbers don't improve.

I don't have a problem with air leaks very often - but I do move around a lot when I sleep and adjust my mask quite often to make it more comfortable. I also have insomnia and most nights it will take 1-2 hours to fall asleep even after putting the mask on. What am I doing wrong?

Still so tired during the day; feel like I'm fighting a losing battle! I was also recently diagnosed with moderate COPD (by my sleep medicine doctor after years of complaining to him about my constant fatigue and shortness of breath with my sleep apnea) I also suffer from chronic sinusitis and have acid reflux.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Score Does Not Go Down on CPAP
Thank you, Chill.

I wonder if Jennie54's post should be moved to its own thread, to avoid confusion as to whom a reply is directed. Mods?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI KEEPS GOING UP WITH CPAP USE!!!
I agree that it would be best moved to a new thread. In the meantime, I will attempt some replies.

It is not unusual to have increasing pressure needs. Age, weight gain, medications, allergies, many things can affect this. If your machine is 8 or 9 years old, it could be that the machine is slowly failing. They don't last forever. If the reported AHI is correct (it might not be if the machine is no longer working correctly), then is is way too high. Your doctor might be aiming for under 5, but most of us here find that much lower than that results in better sleep and better awake time.

Complying just means using the machine. It does not guarantee that the machine is functioning correctly, has the correct pressure settings for you, or is even the right machine for you. I think you need to get more assertive with your doctor, or find a new one. Have you had a sleep study recently? If not, the rising AHI seems to justify one.

Insomnia certainly won't help matters and as the machine can't tell that you are not asleep, it will count the AHI as if you were. So the rising AHI might just be you thrashing around more trying to get to sleep. Insomnia can be hard to treat. Sleep hygiene is important as you probably well know. For me, sleep compression therapy was what finally cured me. It was brutal at the time, but has been effective long term. You might want to consider it.

I am not the one to speak to COPD. Sinusitis makes it harder to use nasal masks and pillows. Nasal rinses with Xylitol can really help that as can medications. Acid reflux is common with sleep apnea. Mine has greatly reduced since I got effective therapy. Your therapy does not sound effective at all!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] AHI Score Does Not Go Down on CPAP
I've complied with the requests and split the thread.

Jennie, you need to look at the three numbers that add up to the AHI. One of them is the clear airway (CA) index. If that number is the largest of the three, raising the pressure will likely raise the AHI, not lower it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 108 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 557 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 306 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Lövenstein prisma 25 ST low AHI score aergun 1 324 01-11-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 258 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,331 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 331 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.