Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Andycc Intermittent desaturations during sleep
[split] Andycc Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Been reading this thread. Want to say thank you all for posting this and giving me some insight. I also use the WellVu wrist oximeter. Most nights it doesn't buzz some nights it does.

Last night it did and dropped to 85%, I have the threshold set to 90%. I walked to the bathroom with it buzzing and then it went back to normal. Said I was only under 90% for 1:30 min in thr report the next day. The resmed machine said I had 2 APis events per hour that night. I get so anxious and I think I suffer from anxiety from too much medical equipment. I am also on supplemental oxygen  set to 3 ltrs.

I do have an OScar and have used it. I have posted data here in the past, its just been a while.

I guess my question is , if I am on supplemental oxygen and cpap, do I need the oximeter? I sometimes feel like there is something wrong with me and I am sick. I am 48 relatively healthy otherwise. I guess I need some advice and support and want to know whats normal for us. I dont talk to many people and the docs here are OK but dont spend much time with you.

thanks for reading, andy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intermittent desaturations during sleep
(01-10-2022, 05:21 PM)andycc Wrote: Been reading this thread. Want to say thank you all for posting this and giving me some insight. I also use the WellVu wrist oximeter. Most nights it doesn't buzz some nights it does.

Last night it did and dropped to 85%, I have the threshold set to 90%. I walked to the bathroom with it buzzing and then it went back to normal. Said I was only under 90% for 1:30 min in thr report the next day. The resmed machine said I had 2 APis events per hour that night. I get so anxious and I think I suffer from anxiety from too much medical equipment. I am also on supplemental oxygen  set to 3 ltrs.

I do have an OScar and have used it. I have posted data here in the past, its just been a while.

I guess my question is , if I am on supplemental oxygen and cpap, do I need the oximeter? I sometimes feel like there is something wrong with me and I am sick. I am 48 relatively healthy otherwise. I guess I need some advice and support and want to know whats normal for us. I dont talk to many people and the docs here are OK but dont spend much time with you.

thanks for reading, andy
If you are on supplemental 02, what was your diagnosis? Also, I would think you should not have any desats <90% when on it. I will be reporting on my results soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Andycc
IMHO anyone who is on supplemental O2 should have a recording oximeter, I prefer those compatible with OSCAR so you can consolidate data. Also anyone who had low sats Pre-CPAP and the CPAP appears to have cleared them. As a minimum, in either case, you should periodically verify your Sats are good.
How often?
Initially every night, if sats look good and are stable for several nights, decrease frequency to 2x per week, then weekly and finally Monthly.
Of course any time things seem off use overnight to verify things are fine. If your stats are not stable monitor more frequently.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Andycc Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Andycc, I split this into a new thread so your particular needs can get the individual attention they deserve. Original thread by MCS2014 where this started is here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid429604

I want to give you a link to our wiki article on Oxygen Bleed With CPAP http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP I agree a recording oximeter can be a valuable tool to help determine if therapy and the supplemental oxygen are doing what was intended.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was put on oxygen because when I tool my sleep test my ox levels dropped a lot. I used it at night bled into the cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think yes, you should use the pulse oximeter to record your data, but TURN OFF the alarms. If poring over the data is causing you anxiety, firstly, you should speak to your doctor about how valid your fears are. Honestly, a quick blip below 90? Not a huge deal. Especially if your data is consistently okay.

I know it can be seriously anxiety-provoking, but if your AHI looks good, and you're not spending significant time below 90%, then you're probably okay. I guess in my head, I've had to switch it around to - these machines, this oxygen, it doesn't mean I'm sick... this is just an aid to keep me well. Just like wearing glasses or a hearing aid, or using a cane or crutches or even a wheelchair - these are all AIDS to make your life better. And that's exactly what the CPAP and oxygen are doing for you. I don't know if that will help for you, but perhaps if you can reframe these as "things to keep me well" rather than "Things that mean I'm sick", it might help reduce some of your anxiety.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2022, 10:42 AM)Ratchick Wrote: I think yes, you should use the pulse oximeter to record your data, but TURN OFF the alarms. If poring over the data is causing you anxiety, firstly, you should speak to your doctor about how valid your fears are. Honestly, a quick blip below 90? Not a huge deal. Especially if your data is consistently okay.

I know it can be seriously anxiety-provoking, but if your AHI looks good, and you're not spending significant time below 90%, then you're probably okay. I guess in my head, I've had to switch it around to - these machines, this oxygen, it doesn't mean I'm sick... this is just an aid to keep me well. Just like wearing glasses or a hearing aid, or using a cane or crutches or even a wheelchair - these are all AIDS to make your life better. And that's exactly what the CPAP and oxygen are doing for you. I don't know if that will help for you, but perhaps if you can reframe these as "things to keep me well" rather than "Things that mean I'm sick", it might help reduce some of your anxiety.

Thanks for saying that,  I appreciate your honestly and help. Ageing isnt fun but what other choice do we have lol.

yeah AHI seems OK, if I sleep on my back all night it can put off a higher numbe rbut usually its under 5.

I did look at Oscar today and saw some CA's,  but overall resmed said I had 2.3 events. I do know I toss and turn at night and they didint mention  central apnea after my sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I commented on that one, but your numbers are so low and at least half of them look like they were when you were awake, so I wouldn't worry overly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Intermittent "mooing" noises from (new) machine marylee 3 295 01-29-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.