Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Backup Machine Opinion
[split] Backup Machine Opinion
****  Moderator's Note:  ****

This post was split from a 3-year-old thread in the Product Review Forum.  Since it doesn't pertain to reviewing a product, it has been retitled and placed in the Main Forum.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'll throw my 2c in anyway concerning backup machines.

I started CPAP therapy in March 1996, over 24 years ago. I have used Resmed machines exclusively and they have never failed, worn out, or (as Rolls Royce would say) ceased to proceed. I have simply traded up to a more advanced model every 6-7 years.

So really, a backup machine is a waste of money.

I have never heard of anybody needing one.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Backup Machine Opinion
I have always kept my last cpap model owned because it was still working well. It does not owe me anything and will get me through a time when it might be needed for what ever reason(Hospital, travelling......). But like mentioned Resmed are very reliable machines and buying a brand new machine would be nice for some folks who have the means but I would be looking for a 2nd hand one possibly or keep your older machine for a back up if a person is overly concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband's machine stopped working, so the DME sent it off to be fixed or replaced. Well, somehow it got lost in transit, so he was without a machine for about six weeks. The DME had no loaners and none of the other local DME's would rent him a loaner. He was miserable.

Avoiding that kind of problem is probably why some folks like to have back up machines.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have spare/backup parts for masks, hoses, humidifiers, filters, it seems like it would be good to plan for a backup machine as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 201 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 526 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.