Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - CPAP for central apnea?
RE: [split] CPAP Machine Choices - CPAP for central apnea?
Although, despite my horrible initial results (an increase in central apneas), I am now getting pretty good results with my AirSense 10 set to CPAP mode and a max pressure of 8. My AHI last night was 1.18 and of that, the central apneas were only .36. So it can happen. Be patient.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
It's such a crap-shoot with mixed or complex apnea. I think it is worth doing a CPAP trial. if you can rent one for a month, that would be great. A new purchase will be about $500, and if it doesn't work, you will get most of that back if you choose to resell. I like to say to new members that we can only take this one step at a time. Even with great insurance, you would start with CPAP. Let's do this!

The very lowest price I know is a distributor that does not do insurance sales out of Washington State at 206-965-9995. This is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with humidifier and tube. No web site. PayPal payment. This is a great machine with full data. You can ask them or a mask quote if you call. The only way to find out if it will work for you is to use it, and we'll be glad to help. If it doesn't work that seller can probably quote ASV. This is the right way to start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can borrow a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset.  Would a few nights worth of data on that machine make it possible to determine if I need something more?
Post Reply Post Reply
It will be a start, it will show what the initial issues are going to be. I'd even be tempted to get a cheap auto off of c/list for $100, as long as it works with sleepyhead. It will probably be cheaper than a rental and you could sell it again for the $100 or keep it as a spare, if cpap will work for you. I have my doubts, these CA are from a study without you using cpap and may hang around. I have also seen bad CA resolve to everyone's surprise. The type of CA that can come with the use of cpap, called pressure induced CA, often settle down within weeks.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
This is available on Craigslist. It less than my out of pocket cost.

BRAND NEW Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO Auto BiPAP / CPAP - $675

If I understand this should work for my mixed apnea. Right?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be suspicious of that price for a brand new AirCurve 10 VAuto.

A dealer that I am familiar with (also on Amazon as Sistemma) is offering a used one for $700.

Just be sure to check the run hours (which is available in the hidden mode) rather than user hours.

edit: And as to your question, No, I don't think so. I am on that machine, and am being told (by Dr's) that I need a different one for centrals. But someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, I'm sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally found the right page on ResMed. Vauto is not the same as ASV. 

Back to Craigslist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2018, 02:35 PM)Albercook Wrote: I finally found the right page on ResMed. Vauto is not the same as ASV. 

Back to Craigslist.

If you also have a Facebook account, don't forget to check Facebook Marketplace! I do a search within 100 miles of my town, and find lots of cpap machines various years, costs, etc

Click on the upper menu "HOME" link, and you'll be in your feed. The Marketplace link is now located in the upper LEFT corner.
Post Reply Post Reply
In looking back over your thread, it looks like the proposed plan was to get setup with an inexpensive cpap as the first step. Sleeprider's post

(thought I'd point that out, just in case  the lack of successful treatment is messing with your head; of course if you've decided on a difference course of action, please disregard)
Post Reply Post Reply
So my AHI dropped to 5.7 when I was not supine.( It was only 20 minutes not much data). I spent on my side for years until I had a shoulder injury and start sleeping on my back. I understand that sleeping on your side should help with obstructive apneas any data on central apneas?

I could sleep with a backpack on until I got used to it.

If I bought a pulse oximeter would it be able to tell me if I was successful. I know that it would not help differentiate apnea types but if my oxygen never drops do I care why?

BTW I also looked into making my own Arduino based data logger to record breathing from an cannula and chest strap. Does anyone know of DIY plans for such?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 58 4 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 116 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.