Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes...
[split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes...
Hi Tim

I have similar periods during the night when I'm awake and my respiration rate drop low. I often wake up feeling groggy in the morning when this happens. 

Did you find a way to manage it?

Thanks
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes...
oqwif, I don't think Tim (grubstake) has been on Apnea Board since March 2020, so we can continue this thread on your behalf or even split it to a new thread which may be the better approach.

You have a very similar issue with lower respiration rate but higher minute vent during the night. This represents slower but deeper breathing that should have no effect on your oxygen levels or health. The use of a minimum pressure of 5.0 is too low given your median of over 10 cm and the use of EPR at 3. I suspect your flow limits remain somewhat high and that is what drives pressure. The therapy looks pretty good overall, and does not have the same level of central apnea as in Grubstake's therapy data. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-sometimes?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes...
Thanks for your reply, Sleeprider. Happy to split the thread if it is a better approach.

I'm glad that the low respiratory rate / deeper breathing is not concerning. I'll increase the minimum pressure and monitor the results.

I'm feeling a lot better since starting therapy in September. I am much more alert than before, and according to Apple health data, my daytime VO2 max is increasing nicely.

Thank you for all the great info on this forum! It's a huge relief to find this level of information, and CPAP therapy feels less daunting now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes...
I went ahead and split this thread so we can focus on your therapy and concerns. The fact your feel better since starting therapy in September is a very good sign, and as I mentioned before, I don't think the low respiration rate, offset by the higher minute vent is a big concern, and may be associated with sleep stage. This pattern is not too unusual, and is only apparent thanks to the detailed data available from your machine. I do think a minimum pressure of 7.0 is appropriate, assuming you find that tolerable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i just wonder if these periods are actually sleep or awake, usually the tidal volume is much greater when awake or awakening. Of course, being awake between 12:45 and 02:35 would likely have been recognized by you. If you can post a 10 minute wide from 01:45 to 01:55 then maybe we can tell more from the breathing during that period. You will have to add your "flow" info to show those breaths.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2021, 01:10 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: i just wonder if these periods are actually sleep or awake, usually the tidal volume is much greater when awake or awakening.  Of course, being awake between 12:45 and 02:35 would likely have been recognized by you.  If you can post a 10 minute wide from 01:45 to 01:55 then maybe we can tell more from the breathing during that period.  You will have to add your "flow" info to show those breaths.

QAL

It is also due to incomplete sleep or change in sleep patterns.  You can easily reduce your daytime sleepiness through the modafinil pill.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too question awake vs asleep because using the one example posted the machine was turned off during that period indicating OP was awake. Breathing was the same high volume, low rate before and after the period machine was turned off for.

As an aside your pressure is held up at 7-8 EPAP by what I assume is flow limitations due to an obstruction and that 7-8 cm is what is required to avoid that obstruction. The cluster of obstructive apnea at 2:30 until that pressure was reached again also supports this. You should try increasing your min pressure to 8 cm and see what affect that has.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 113 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 100 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 142 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 240 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 4 253 03-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 593 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.