Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Data analysis - Breath55
[split] Data analysis - Breath55
Hello everyone, please bear with me as I am not well versed in technology. I just started treatment a few months ago, though I was diagnosed with central sleep apnea last year. No one was really sure how to treat it other than cpap which I had problems with. As a result, all of last year kind of stayed in limbo. Do I need a neurologist or a pulmonologist or what? No one seemed to know and it was easier to just deal with it 'next time.' I saw an ad online about non-cpap treatment of some kind of box that shocked you when you forget to breathe, fun. I have central sleep apnea and this thing they put in you treats central sleep apnea fairly well from what  I read, but none of the doctors could tell me who to speak with for more information. I have had problems with trying to effectively use a cpap in the past and was hoping for an alternative but finely decided to go back and give the cpap a better try. It had been 20ty years since the last cpap I had and there was none of this online help and I can see how this can be very helpful and am thankful this is available. I'm taking a more proactive approach now and with all this online help I may stand a chance.

My reading last night had an AHI of 0? Is that normal or did it read the night wrong? On another night seemed I had all kinds of crazy stuff going on. Also, I noticed on some days it will say 'only summary data available' is there any way to change that and get more information?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data analysis
one reason you may have had trouble with cpap/apap is because they aren't designed to treat central apnea. I was diagnosed with ca 30 years ago and wasn't offered any effective treatment until pretty recently. your 2 screenshots demonstrate the fact that central and mixed apnea are inconsistent. some good nights, some bad. I haven't studied up that much on alternatives to pap but it has been my understanding that alternatives like the one you mention are better for obstructive apnea and even then all too often fail to reduce apnea to the extent you won't need pap as well. the machine that treats ca is asv or adaptive servo ventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data analysis
Only summary means that the SD card was not in the CPAP overnight. It needs to be there to record the detailed data we use in OSCAR.

As you are well aware the AHI of 0.0 is unusual and I would not expect that, nor can I explain it other than random chance.

Central Apnea can, and frequently takes wild swings with a lot of variation between nights, usually there are some events.

Saturday has some clustering of obstructive events which typically means that you are tucking your chin and causing obstructive apneas, A soft cervical collar works for most users, read the link in my signature.

Your EPR is set at 3, I'd like you to set it to 1 and see if your Centrals decrease. This will help us to know what your treatment should be. My suspicion is TreatMent-Emergent Central Apnea.
I also would like to see redacted copies of your sleep studies. These also will us to pinpoint what to do.

It is entirely possible that we will suggest and ASV to treat your centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Data analysis - Breath55
Here's the sleep report just read it myself not long ago my doctor had given me the basic impression that it was not that big of a deal, either that or he didn't read the report at all or had the wrong one or what I'm not sure, but nothing ever became of it. After reading the sleep report myself I became a bit more concerned sounded about how I felt, rough. Waking up every morning feeling like I got ran over by a train. 

[attachment=20318]
Post Reply Post Reply
Breath55, you might want to take down the post of the sleep study and black out your identifying information before re-posting it.

I can't fathom why your doctor would not treat these results with the utmost seriousness and move as quickly as possible to get you using the kind of specialized machine that can treat primary central apnea.

The experts will soon offer you much more detailed help, I'm sure. In the meantime, in addition to re-posting the redacted study, can you let us know whether you have a heart condition or pulmonary condition of some kind and whether you use opioid-type medicine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi David. New members have a limited time window to edit posts. I've turned off your attachment because it included personal identification such as your real name and date of birth. As Dormeo said, blank out any person ID information and attach the file to a new post.
Post Reply Post Reply
David, I've removed a couple of posts about the edit button and so forth.

Your sleep study very explicitly says you have severe central apnea and not obstructive apnea. The machine you have is designed for obstructive apnea and cannot treat central apnea. You have the wrong machine.

You should be on an adaptive servo-ventilator (ASV). Normally the process is to try an APAP (which is what you have) then when that machine fails go to a bilevel machine and when that fails you finally get to try an ASV. In your case the diagnosis is so clear that I'm sure your doc could make a case to go straight to ASV. But it seems from your initial posts that the doctors don't know what to do... You have three options that I can see: 1) Go back to your doctor and insist on an ASV titration, or 2) Find a doc who does know what he's doing, or 3) Buy your own ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll work on the rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input,
not sure how to start a thread but I'll look it up. The device, cpap alternative is for central connects a wire from a box placed under the skin, to your head to tell your lungs to breathe. It can sense laid down potion when lungs stop moving, send a wave to the brain reminds the lungs to breathe. This idea didn't sound too thrilling and got basically nowhere when I tried to investigate. I"ve decided to come back and try my best to get this machine to work best I can. Or get another as someones else told me as well that I needed something different.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,419 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 147 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.