Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Dental Appliance vs CPAP
[split] Dental Appliance vs CPAP
Thank you for the detailed posting, and congrats on your success! My mother uses a dental appliance. I would be interested in hearing a little more on your comparison between your time on the dental appliance vs CPAP. Is the difference significant enough that you wish you had done CPAP sooner?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
It was quite awhile ago that i used the appliance, but I seldom felt rested after a nights sleep, and from my wife's observation when she was awake in the night, was that the appliance did not eliminate my holding my breath for long periods of time. I did have great success with one patient with appliance therapy. Previous to my treating him, he had palatal surgery and had attempted to use the apnea appliance. Previous to the appliance he had to sleep in another room from his wife because of extreme physical agitation. While wearing the appliance, the couple resumed normal sleeping together. He had told me and also others told me that the CPAP was noisy and difficult to use. This had prevented me from seeking CPAP therapy. I have found the CPAP to be very quiet and after some initial getting use to, to be relatively easy to adjust to. The recent addition of the chin strap has eliminated my last major irritation, the dry mouth. I would have used the present appliance long ago if it were available. I would imagine this machine I use today is a far cry from a machine used 20 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Dental Appliance vs CPAP
I split this thread from the CPAP Success Story thread so more people might see it and offer their opinions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 526 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,749 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.