Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Discussion on Benefits
[split] Discussion on Benefits
DaveL,
since your from Ontario, OHIP pays for the Crap machine and you just have to pay $215 Canadian and the warranty is for 3 years not 2 years  
and you could of got a brand new resmed 10  and the mask is included and hose
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Thanks purpleh2. I went to my sleep doc for about 12 years. I had my first machine when I moved to Toronto and was referred to him.
However, my sleep doc would not provide a prescription until my cpap machine was broken. As a result I had my first machine for almost 9 years. It was noisy, but it was built like a tank.
I chuckled at your crap machine comment. That's what I got.
My sleep-doc-from-hell provided me with a prescription for my second machine. He sent the prescription to the DME owned by the hospital. I had 3 choices. Expensive, very expensive, and very very expensive. I had no choice in masks; I asked for an alternate. It was not allowed. I had to accept the mask that the DME provided. The mask provided was junk and uncomfortable. It didn't last. Cost of the machine was higher because I added a humidifier.

I'm grateful that he retired and wish him good health and happiness.

I finally have a new sleep doc; I've had a sleep study. I'm waiting for his review.
He has already tried to sell me a new machine. He is a DME apparently. I was informed that he supplies or rents machines and masks for trial use. We haven't discussed choices and costs. If he does I shall ask for a prescription for an apap machine or better and determine it's cost.

I've had to pay a lot out of pocket in past. That's why I bought a used machine (with very very few hours on it.)

The ResMed 10 came out about 6 months after I bought my used S9E with humidifier.

i have been compliant for over 25 years. My treatment works. Last week I had two nights with perfect scores of 0.0 and about 8 hours sleep.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL

Yes I have to pay out of my pocket also, no benefits, I think after 5 years you might be able to get a new machine
MY DME in Burlington was Great, they give you a loner for free tried it out for 4 months made sure you results was under 5 mind was
4.5 and after the new machine. I up the pressure to 16 from 14 and its between .3 - 1.2 with help of the SITE.
  Since I pay out of my pocket and reading all the material at this SITE I Determind I was going all RESMED
  The DME said RESMED is only in the CRAP Business only, and mention there machine last for a long time very few break downs

Since I pay out of pocket, and the prices are so high in Canada, I bought off Ebay and got them shipped to a mailbox
 Niagra falls NY, and since it is Medical there are NO Duties bringing them into Canada
 I went kind of Crazy (6 Airfit F20 mask cushions average $24) 3 headgear $17 each 3 Cushion holder each $17
 and 6 non- heated hoses $4.50 each  all US funds,  also 100 Filters for my Resmed 10 machine $25  All in US Funds

I am 8 months into 1 mask so I am thinking I have enough supplies for 6 years

1 Resmed Airfit F20 Medium at my DME was $300 Canadian plus tax, online in Canada 200 plus tax

Very Happy so far but want to loose weight also need to loose 30lbs

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Wonderful advice. Thanks so much! I found SMG in Burlington. They're great! Who do you use?
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The Same, SMG on fairview,  there website is a bit cheaper
just to let you know. Yes I had a really good experience with them
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent news. They are incredible. Same location.

I didn't have a sleep doc after Dr Inouye retired. He had referred me to a new sleep doc and when I contacted him, he had"left" Credit Valley Hospital.

So I was like a new patient.

My gp referred me to an Oakville doc and I finally had a sleep study. It was over 10 years between sleep studies.

I need a prescription from a sleep doc to get a machine. I'll find out from Doc Awad if I can get an autopap that autotitrates.

My last mask cost $325 out the door, in a sealed bag.I shall shop when I get my next one. They have often let me try their store masks for free. I tried hard to find a full face mask but AHI was really high. The only one that I could wear all night was an F20, but it leaked badly on me
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
On ebay resmed airfit F20 mask would be $90US, I also sleep on my side and I got a CRAP PILLOW

I think that helped with my Leakage, usually my max leakage rate is 7 or below sometime under 1
but before spending the money on a CRAP Pillow ask people
here what they think, but for me its been great

Same Doc  don't google him LOL  he makes a ton of money in this business
my sleep study on Brant street going 7 days a week and at least 8-12 people
there every night and he has 4-5 locations
Post Reply Post Reply
purpleh2, such is life.
I'm grateful I had a sleepstudy.
It confirmed my nasal mask. Works with a chinstrap.
I'm grateful Ihave a goodmachine, and use it well. Last night my AHI was 0.1
I slept 8 hours.

I'm so grateful I am finally learning how to use my equipment well.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2018, 03:52 PM)purpleh Wrote:   Since I pay out of pocket, and the prices are so high in Canada, I bought off Ebay and got them shipped to a mailbox
 Niagra falls NY, and since it is Medical there are NO Duties bringing them into Canada

I have to laugh.  I was discussing with another person about getting my passport simply to go to Canada for vacation annually to get lower cost insulin for a year.  She said lots of people, both US and Canadian, come to US borders to pick up stuff that they can't get cheaply in their own country and she mentioned the thing about no duties when it was medical.  Shouldn't have to be this way, but it was funny.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 524 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Benefits of changing masks BreakingBaddd 5 552 10-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [split] Need help with Clear Airway Events. rizlah 11 871 09-12-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: rizlah
  [split] GoodSleepHunting Therapy Thrapy Thread GoodSleepHunting 3 439 09-08-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.