Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Removing mask
RE: Removing mask
(09-24-2016, 12:51 AM)medwards0050 Wrote: Thank you. Being new to all this I was just trying to figure our what was up and i noticed that every time one of these happen I would take off the mask. Thought there might be a connection.

I believe there is a connection. You are unconsciously reacting to the obstructive apnea, just as you did during the decades before you were diagnosed. The problem got progressively worse and your body had to develop techniques to wake you up so you could start breathing again. Imagine your brain as a control center, able to send signals to the rest of your body. It detects low oxygen and high CO2 in your bloodstream and signals the lungs to breathe. But despite the effort on the part of your diaphragm, the lungs don't take in any air. The only thing that can be done to solve the problem is make you wake up. Perhaps you're the type of person who falls asleep and stays asleep easily, so it's particularly hard for your brain to wake you up. It considers you to be stubborn!

The good news is that you will adapt and this issue will abate. The bad news is that if you continue to take your mask off and go back to sleep the brain will have to go back to its old regime of waking you to breathe and that will interfere with the adaptation process, perhaps putting a stop to it.

The solution is to apply some straps, bobby pins, velcro, or whatever it takes to keep that mask on. You may need something extreme such as a helmet liner! But keep in mind that this is all temporary. Hopefully you'll adapt and no longer need it.

As others have pointed out, obstructive events will happen. They happen to everyone almost every time we sleep. When the magnitude gets too large CPAP therapy is needed. Even with a CPAP machine you can have up to 5 events per hour and still be considered to have things under control. If you had up to 5 events per hour without a CPAP machine you'd be diagnosed as "normal" and no CPAP therapy would be prescribed. This assumes, of course, that there are no other medical conditions conflating the issues.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removing mask
I tried increasing the pressure to 13. It seems to have helped some. I managed to were the mask almost 4 hours lat night. I may try to increase it a little more tonight and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 671 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 948 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,138 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,310 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam] S.Thompson 6 1,429 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nailer
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 18 12,409 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Morhaugn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.