Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Experience with Aerophagia?
[split] Experience with Aerophagia?
Hello, I have severe aerophagia when I sleep on either side, and I have none when I sleep on my back...That is when I wake up like single 6 seconds burp,gasses,stomach pain etc...
I have adjusted lower pressure on my Airsense which gives me arround zero apneas...Maybe I should go even lower...
I have neglected cleaning my cpap equipment which because of aerophagia and bacterial accumulation I have acquired rectal abscess and had to go incision drainage...(oh that was painfull)...
Should I post my OSCAR results history if that could help any?
I did manage to get custom to sleep only on my back but I am afraid not to acquire some problems because of that kind of sleeping...

Thanks in advance...This is best site...

My untreated AHI 78,9

05.2019 My first cpap mask Heinen & Lowenstein Full Face, it did not suite mine Facial Physiology .
08.2019 My second cpap mask ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face CPAP Mask it has medium leaks.
09.09.2020 Trying to use Nuance pro gel nasal pillow mask
Month later started using an resmed F30i and still using it.
My backup machine Philips Respironics Remstar AUTO cpap
My machine I have put on waiting for bipap therapy SOMNOvent Auto-ST: BiLevel-ST
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Experience with Aerophagia?
Roberts, I split your post out of the other aerophagia thread so you can get individual attention to your problem and therapy needs. In this new thread, I think it would be very helpful for you to review your therapy and pressure history and perhaps post some charts. It's good that you are able to get relief from aerophagia while on your back. We can look at your data and advise on lower pressure, or perhaps look at aids like a wedge pillow or elevating the head of the bed. As far as equipment sanitation, many of us are not daily cleaners, but it sounds like you need to get some tips on keeping the important stuff in check.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is interesting that you have aerophagia sleeping on your side, but not on your back. I sleep on my side and have a much higher AHI on my back. Reducing the upper pressure reduced the aerophagia for me.

I don't think cleaning your equipment has anything to do with a rectal abscess or aerophagia. I clean the rubber parts that touch my face for other reasons. I empty the humidifier and dry it every morning. You should not have condensation in the tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my first daily screenshot with my heavy apnea, any suggestions?
I have seen a rather interesting big size medical wedge pillow on the web, and i am thinking of purchasing it...It does say that 75% of people reported less snoring...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My untreated AHI 78,9

05.2019 My first cpap mask Heinen & Lowenstein Full Face, it did not suite mine Facial Physiology .
08.2019 My second cpap mask ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face CPAP Mask it has medium leaks.
My machine I have put on waiting for bipap therapy SOMNOvent Auto-ST: BiLevel-ST
Post Reply Post Reply
Your large leaks appear to be caused by Mouth Breathing, review the Mask Primer in my signature, specifically the Mouth Breathing section.

You have EPR off.  EPR should help with your aerophagia by allowing a lower average pressure and in addition, it will reduce your flow limitations and snores.

Set Min Pressure = 7 to give the EPR all the room it needs,  I'd set it higher but I want to see how low this will bring your pressure down.
Set EPR =2, Full Time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for a detailed look...
Yes indeed, I am a heavy mouth breeder, as i have nasal congestion all the time combined with nasal deviation...
I will try your suggestion tonight and post the results here...
I had intentionally turned off epr because it seemed that it coincided with higher AHI but that may be because of large air leaks..
I am doing a detailed look at your mask primer section especially mouth breathing.

My untreated AHI 78,9

Post Reply Post Reply
This is my latest result...

Left side is with nasal pillows mask, right side is with AirFit F30

My untreated AHI 78,9

Post Reply Post Reply
Any advice?
I do own a good bi-pap machine which might help?

My untreated AHI 78,9

Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour will advise you about your settings, I'm sure. You did a lot better with the pillows than the FF mask. But did you reset the mask type on the machine before you switched?

Also, it would be helpful to know about the aerophagia you did/didn't experience in both segments of the night. Could you quickly post that information so Bonjour will see it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour :-)
I did forget to change the mask type in settings...Will change that right away, thanks
I had zero aerophagia when I slept one time with nasal mask, *day before this result recorded in oscar*
I installed yesterday dvr night camera to monitor my sleep, but this night I have not slept on my side...
So far so good aerophagia is gone these days at least with pillow mask type...

My untreated AHI 78,9

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 16 327 03-17-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,596 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 506 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 499 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 267 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 389 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 208 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.