Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] F&P Vitera Full Face [Need advice]
[split] F&P Vitera Full Face [Need advice]
I asked for a Vitera from my device supplier earlier this week. In their office I tried it on, went with the large size rather than medium (though I also have the medium face mask on hand at home). What I was hoping to discover was that the Vitera might be 1) more comfortable overnight (with the forehead piece adding some stability over the flexible head-and cheek straps of the ResMed F20 I've used for just over a year) and 2) maybe reduced fit issues when I roll onto my side or stomach while asleep. The F20 will shift, I'm awakened by a soft "blaaatttt" noise from the gasket flapping from the BiPAP pressure.

I didn't get through five minutes with the Vitera. The exhaust just under my eyes was terrible. With BiPAP the mask is constantly venting air through those vents that the F20 didn't. With the ResMed design, there's a one-way exhaust valve in the connection between mask and hose so positive pressure's maintained constantly. When I exhale, those valves open to the atmosphere and close off the positive pressure from my AirSense until I inhale once again.

I note also that the Vitera's ball-joint feature seems loose in the mask's socket. I can move it back and forth slightly, and when worn it seems to leak air also.

Am I doing something wrong when wearing this new mask? It seems poorly designed for use in BiPAP therapy if I'm wearing it correctly but I'm experiencing what I've indicated.

Before I start messing with grafting the F20 connector to the Vitera mask (so I get the benefit of the one-way valve it incorporates) I'd like to hear from other users. I can turn it back to my provider unless of course I start making modifications....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] F&P Vitera Full Face [Need help]
First, the ResMed F20 mask has an anti-asphyxiation valve in the elbow. That's not the vent. There's vents in the front of the mask.

Having the Fisher and Paykel Vitera as my go-to, I'll try to help out. Let's go over a few things.

The exhaust under your eyes? Is this streams of air blowing up into your eyes, possibly from the nasal bridge area? If yes, without taking the straps off, pull the mask straight up off your face slightly then resetting it lower on your face.

How tight are your straps? On the Vitera, they must be loose or leaks will occur.

The Vitera ball and socket will be slightly loose and maybe air may leak out. I don't see this is an issue.

IMO your Vitera F20 Frankenstein will not turn out well.

Last pointer: to fit the Vitera correctly you must lie back on your bed and as the straps adjusted very loose.
Turn on the PAP.
If needed add a very slight amount to tension to the straps.
Again as above, pull the mask up and reset it lower to reduce leaks out of the nasal bridge area.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] F&P Vitera Full Face [Need advice]
@ SarcasticDave -

Not to beat you up on your vocabulary, but wouldn't the F20 + Vitera combination be properly termed a FrankenMask? Smile Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it probably would. It may turn out Abby normal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the same situation.  I bought a Vitera after seeing several reviews.  The fit is great but the exhaust is horrible, especially coming from an F20 also.  I am trying to find some fabric material to make a diverter, otherwise I have wasted money on this mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have had problems with Vitera's ball-joint socket, although in my case it's not a matter of too loose but rather intermittently sticking in a particular position.  Enough of a problem that I've gone back to ResMed F30i FF.  Also, not that happy with venting on Vitera.  My supplier told me that "everyone has been happy with the Vitera."  Not the case.  Not sure if the ball-joint socket problem is design issue or quality control issue; either way, it is a significant problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not used any PAP anything for a while so my Vitera is fairly new compared to the ResMed F20. The ball and socket is tight and catches randomly but IMO it loosens up with use. I don't mind the vigorous vent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some time ago I followed Dave's instructions in an earlier thread for fitting the Vitera, and it definitely helped. I REALLY want to like the Vitera but I still haven't solved it. Too many leaks through the night. I also had trouble with venting into my eyes but seem to have solved that with Dave's fitting advice.

I'll try this mask again one night when my nasal pillows aren't working--it will happen!--and maybe eventually succeed in dialing it in.

when I first have it on I think, this is a great mask, just what I want. I think turning onto my sides causes the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
No single mask is for everyone. We all know this. But for those that this Vitera works good, it's still a very good mask.

New Titration last night and the tech had me try the ResMed F30i. It was minimal compared to the Vitera, but he had to keep the straps tight to keep the cradle sealed. Eh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] F&P Vitera Full Face [Need help]
(09-17-2021, 08:58 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: How tight are your straps? On the Vitera, they must be loose or leaks will occur.

I've been using a Vitera for a week now and that was one thing I noticed, was how much looser the straps could be to work compared to the Simplus.  I think I ended up having my Vitera on too tight the first night cuz it killed my nose, but I loosened it up and that seemed to take care of it.

The weird thing is, I'd have said that the Vitera is less leaky than my Simplus, even with the looser straps.  I haven't noticed any leaks this week.  But then I just loaded my CPAP data into Oscar today to see how my first week stats looked with the new mask and surprisingly, the leak rate has been higher according to the numbers.  The average leak rate the past 11 months has been around 1.00, 1.10 last month.  This month which has been almost all on the new mask, it's at 7.96.  I'll try tightening it some tonight to see if it helps.  It's just weird because it feels ok.  Don't think I've had any dry eyes issues this week either, though that would come and go with the Simplus.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.