Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from New Member [retired physician]
Hello from New Member [retired physician]
Hello:  I am brand new to this forum, and just wanted to say "Hi."  I am 61, a recently retired physician, and was diagnosed with OSA in 1986 (I was skinny then; just had bad anatomy).  I tried the old CPAP with the inline pressure valves, which failed miserably. I had the old UPPP done; 3 nights in the ICU, a month to recover, but I went 19 years until weight gain and age caused sleep deprivation to reoccur. I have used CPAP for 10 years now. It saved my life and sanity, and I haven't missed a night in 10 years. I recently upgraded to an auto adjust, as my old clunker was beginning to have issues, and I am very happy with the new machine. Should have upgraded sooner, as the tech has advanced dramatically for CPAP users. I am glad that the type of UPPP I underwent is not done now; although I do NOT regret having the surgery (no real alternatives for me in 1986), I have had some post surgical complications over the years that are tough to manage. I'd be happy to elaborate another time; perhaps others have experienced the same. I became very familiar with the medical literature on UPPP complications, looking for solutions. Anyway, hello to everybody, and I look forward to learning and contributing. --Kris (stiffdoc)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy
Stiffdoc,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

welcome, stiffdoc! you should start a thread... you will be buried in here Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I have never participated in a message board/forum like this, and thus have never started my own thread on anything. I will figure it out; the problem of post-surgical complications from OSA surgery is both interesting and personal, and I was extremely fortunate that I am a physician, as I had very unsatisfactory results from physicians who basically admitted that they did not know what to do for my particular problem. So, I had to figure out my own solution, and being a doctor, I could convince other physicians concerning what I needed, and the help I required from them. It would have been very difficult for a non-physician to make this work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kris

Moderator Note: I moved this discussion to this new thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
well, then double welcome. to apnea board and to forumland also Big Grin
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 07:42 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: I had very unsatisfactory results from physicians who basically admitted that they did not know what to do for my particular problem.

Consider yourself lucky. They usually don't admit it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split]Hello from New Member
Hi Stiffdoc,
Welcome to the forum.
I think you'ed be interested in using SleepyHead, (SH), software. Look here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, otrpu, for reposting that info here. I accidentally left your original post behind in the old thread when I did the split, and was just now sending you a PM about it. I'll delete the original.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a new member here as well, welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard Stiffdoc! Glad you found us!

It is good to have another medical doctor here with personal OSA experience who can weigh in on discussions! And just my 2cents, I very much respect a doctor who can admit they do not know something rather than try something on a pt without admitting their lack of knowledge!

Welcome!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 135 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 427 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.