Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from New Member [retired physician]
RE: [split]Hello from New Member
Yes welcome!. I think you will find SleepyHead very interesting and valuable. I am 63 and started PAP therapy 5/1/15 and in retrospect have had OSA for 40+ years even as a skinny athletic kid. Your screen name tickles me If it means what it implies (at to my warped thought processes) LOL!
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to Sleepster for his assistance to a newcomer. I am interested in OSA surgery complications and how they are managed.

Note: I am a licensed physician, but I cannot give medical advice, nor will I write prescriptions. I have no problem answering questions, and suggesting the things to ask your own doctor. Most physicians outside of sleep medicine are ignorant regarding sleep apnea, but reluctant to tell a patient "I don't know". I was able to diagnose myself because I am a doctor and researched the medical literature myself, and then lay it out to my own doctors, basically to guide them to give me what I needed. Most other patients are not so fortunate, and in my opinion, the general state of medical care in this country is poor, and not patient-centered.

I was diagnosed with OSA when sleep medicine was barely known. I had terrible sleep deprivation, so bad that when I failed the rather primitive CPAP I tried, I opted for the surgery. I felt that bad. It was extremely harsh, but it worked, for 19 years. About 15 years ago, I noticed gradual nausea and vomiting while eating, which was very distressing and made it impossible to go out to eat. I finally researched this and determined that my altered throat anatomy caused secretions to pool and stimulate my gag reflex, which is a known complication of OSA surgery. Anyone reading this ever had similar symptoms?
Post Reply Post Reply
To Mark Douglas: I am a forensic pathologist, thus "stiffdoc". I have been mistaken for a urologist, however....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 08:48 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: To Mark Douglas: I am a forensic pathologist, thus "stiffdoc". I have been mistaken for a urologist, however....

No disrespect intended and in fact I am aware in your occupation your education far exceeds most in medicine. Your patients can't tell you where it hurts. I refer to myself as the King of the ADD/HD and I assure you I have earned the title and my "filter" is tenuous at best. Too-funny

I have been ill with a more or less constant sinus infection and bad life outlook since my teens. For 40 yrs I have wandered and have been shuffled from doctor to doctor and was only the last couple of years I have met docs with some glimmer of from what I suffer. With the help of those here and to borrow and expression I feel as though I am waking from a coma/nightmare. Turns out the OSA causes GERD and aspiration of stomach contents slowly eroding my throat and inflaming my lungs and sinuses and all the concomitant problems. Pneumonia and sinus surgery were constant companions. The continual jolts of adrenaline cause general anxiety. After being tested negative for narcolepsy as a young adult I have been shuffled here and there and primarily prescribed anti-depressants because it was all in my head. And it was! A head full of stomach acids. Oh-jeez I recently had a conversation with the senior psych Prof at a well regarded university where I suggested that when he sees someone suffering depression perhaps he should consider sleep apnea screening as one of the first things he does and he was very receptive having known me for 14 yrs. OOPS clearly it is time for an adderall Rolleyes

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy
(11-11-2015, 07:42 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: I will figure it out; the problem of post-surgical complications from OSA surgery is both interesting and personal, and I was extremely fortunate that I am a physician, as I had very unsatisfactory results from physicians who basically admitted that they did not know what to do for my particular problem. So, I had to figure out my own solution, and being a doctor, I could convince other physicians concerning what I needed, and the help I required from them. It would have been very difficult for a non-physician to make this work.

Sadly, that's really common even for "normal" problems, and the reason places like this exist.

Happily, places like this do exist, and it's the reason I can get up in the morning, feel good, and go to work instead of feeling like crap for 4 hours, then improving to "really, really tired". 8-)

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 09:11 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(11-12-2015, 08:48 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: I am a forensic pathologist, thus "stiffdoc".

No disrespect intended and in fact I am aware in your occupation your education far exceeds most in medicine. Your patients can't tell you where it hurts.

On the other hand he doesn't have to ask permission to cut the "patient" up!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
No disrespect; I've kept my email name "stiffdoc" for almost 25 years--many people remember that easier than my name.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 01:47 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 09:11 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(11-12-2015, 08:48 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: I am a forensic pathologist, thus "stiffdoc".

No disrespect intended and in fact I am aware in your occupation your education far exceeds most in medicine. Your patients can't tell you where it hurts.

On the other hand he doesn't have to ask permission to cut the "patient" up!

Old Doctor joke:

The radiologist knows nothing and does nothing.
The surgeon knows nothing but does everything.
The internist knows everything and does nothing.
The pathologist knows everything and does everything, but a day late.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 08:13 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: Old Doctor joke:

The radiologist knows nothing and does nothing.
The surgeon knows nothing but does everything.
The internist knows everything and does nothing.
The pathologist knows everything and does everything, but a day late.

DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stiffdoc,
WELCOME! to the forum! and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 427 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.