Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

School Me - EPR (EPAP) & Flow Limitations
RE: School Me - EPR (EPAP) & Flow Limitations
The mechanism for PS working on flow limits is not to reduce Expiratory Pressure Intolerance in my personal experience.
I'm quite comfortable up to 16cmH20 (no EPR) exhaling, but I'll still experience flow limits (0.3+), that's how the pressure went up to 16+ on my Dreamstation.
With EPR set at 3 on my Resmed my flow limits are well under control (0.16-) while the overall pressure sits in the 9-10cmH2O region.
It seems to me that EPR3 treats the flow limits before they ever turn into RERAs or hypopneas, and I think it's got something to do with shots of extra pressure on inhale to help open the airway on a breath by breath basis. constant pressure doesn't seem to work as well.

My guess is that my particular condition involves a gradual narrowing of the airway, as opposed to others who experience a faster complete collapse of the airway.
My wife has often said she's never seen me gasping for air. My sleep study showed no apneas, just hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 232 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 2 37 39 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.