Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Masks with DreamStation Go
[split] Masks with DreamStation Go
I'm curious - what mask do you use with the Dreamstation Go? I just purchased a Go and use the AirFit P10 nasal pillows, and I find the mask to be noisy on exhale only when attached to the Go (I don't have this problem with the P10 on my home CPAP, which is a Philips Respironics System One).

Despite the noise, I am happy with this purchase. Prior to the Go, I traveled with a Transcend. The Go is way better than the Transcend - it packs easier due to its shape (the Transcend has a weird shape), is significantly quieter, the micro-flex 12mm hose takes up less room in my luggage, no power supply to carry (it's built in), it doesn't slide around on the nightstand like the Transcend does, and it has a much better user interface. Size is a key consideration for me because I travel with carry-ons only and don't want to take a separate CPAP bag.

I am toying with the idea of testing a Q-Tube with the Go, but I'm not sure how to do this due to the proprietary connector on the machine end of the 12mm hose (I'll take a little noise over a larger hose any day).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Phillips Respironics DreamStation Go -- One Person's Choice
My own experience is that the DreamStation Go is quiet. My wife says that she hears nothing. I hear noise only on inhalation.

The Go -- like the Z1 -- is noisy on the very first breaths but -- unlike the Z1 -- gets more quiet quickly.

You should experiment with your placement of the machine (preferably lower than your head) and its 12 mm 6' tubing.

I personally would not alter the air way with a third party Q-Tube for fear of altering the Go's calculations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip on device placement - the last time I used it, it was level with my head. I'll see if I can place it lower on my next trip. How much lower?
Post Reply Post Reply
The manufacturers of CPAP's and APAP's routinely say that you should place the unit lower than your head. I finally broke down and asked Phillips why. The response was: (1) so that the machine cannot be tugged into falling on your head; (2) so that the machine's hose conveys air over an easier, quieter path. I agree with the first, and by trial I agree with the second.

The Respironics Go, which is far quieter than the HDM Z1 or the Transcend, may be sensitive to your selection of a FLEX number (see User Manual, page 17). Selecting the most aggressive exhalation pressure relief -- a 3 -- may make the machine noisier than a 2 or 1. At least, I thought I noticed a decrease in noise moving from a 3 to a 2. Experiment.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Masks with DreamStation Go
OK, you were spot on with your recommendation of keeping the device lower than your head and experimenting with the hose position. What I've discovered is that not only does the CPAP need to be positioned lower than your head, the hose does as well. I tend to hang the hose from a bed post or over the arm of a wall mounted lamp, or over the top of the pillow if I'm facing away from the CPAP; all of these create the noise on inhalation. If I let the hose hang over the side of the bed when facing the CPAP, or drape it across my chest when facing away, the noise on inhalation goes away. Now that I've figured this out, I am 100% happy with the device.

Edit: the effect is most noticeable when the device is ramped up to Full pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 3 85 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 245 6 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,742 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 519 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 118 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 445 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 572 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.