Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split]Mouth guard vs Chin strap
[split]Mouth guard vs Chin strap
(10-01-2015, 10:51 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Ah. Typical new user problem. Do you have an old ACE bandages around? Take one and wrap it around your jaw and head, like they used to if you had the mumps. You want it tight enough to hold your mouth closed when you relax but not so tight you cannot chew with effort. You want to be able to open your mouth in an emergency.

This is a poor man's chin strap. Try this for a night or two. If it works, and it helps keep your mouth closed, then you can get a real chin strap and use that. A full face mask (FFM) will also work but they tend to leak and are hard to fit. Try the chin strap first. It is quite possible that after a month or so, you can stop using the chin strap. What is happening is the air is blowing your mouth open. There's a trick to somehow another train your tongue to do something with the roof of your mouth but I've never managed to do it. Others can explain it better so I won't even try.

Hi Paula. I have a bit of a problem with my mouth opening and having the air blow out of the mouth is noisy, hence I'm sleeping in the spare room. I note your cheap fix with the bandage but I have wondered if a silicone "air dam" moulded like a sports mouth guard could work. Ever heard of one?

I have a dental appointment Wed soI might ask if I can remember.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split]Mouth guard vs Chin strap
If your mouth is opening and air is leaking out, that's not just a noise problem, that's a treatment problem. And you need to come up with a solution if it is happening often enough to make the data invalid.

I know several people on this board use a kind of mouth guard thing as a way to help them keep their mouth closed at night. Most people use chin straps as it is just easier and less chance of lip leaking around the guard. There's a variety of chin straps available. Check the Review Forum for reviews on them.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-O...ct-Reviews

My problem wasn't my mouth opening, but with lip leaking. Annoying as heck.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 809 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.