Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway Apneas TOO HIGH. ResMed AirCurve 10
RE: Clear Airway Apneas TOO HIGH. ResMed AirCurve 10

Please tell me the primary Daily Charts that I should post.  Right now my Oscar set up is showing 14-15 charts, but I just discovered that I can choose the charts that are displayed.  If the only way to post the charts is to take a Screen Shot, save it and then upload the image, It would be less cumbersome to post fewer charts and maybe only have to upload 2 vs 3 screen shots.  In addition, if you have a recommendation as to how to post Daily Charts more efficiently, please advise me.

Last night was quite mixed. First session - very low AHI, second session higher, third session - over 20 AHI.  This increases are largely due to Clear Airway Apneas, which I have yet to completely understand.

Please suggest any settings changes.

[Image: thanks.gif]

Best wishes,
Amitaba
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your Post.  Gideon had suggested moving the "Trigger" from Medium to High.  I did that and it has made a huge difference.  I do appreciate what you have shared about the need for your brain to adjust to the xPAP therapy and I am ready to be patient and let the therapy work over time.  That said, I do not think I have my settings as relevant as they should be. My plan is to work with Gideon's suggestions until I can achieve a bit more consistent lower numbers.  I really do not understand the "Open Airway" number, which is what is driving my overall AHI score up and down dramatically.  I do know that an "Open Airway" event is an Apnea without a blocked airway, but what is the cause of it.  Clearly my respiratory system is fighting or out of sync with the machine's pressure.  Other than that, I am a bit mystified.

One huge challenge is that, while my doctor is a good one, he and his team are overwhelmingly busy and I have a very difficult time communicating with them.  I am very grateful to have come in touch with this Forum and believe I am being helped quite a lot.  I appreciate the insights included in your post and I do believe your advice is correct.  I am hoping to settle into a longer term "wait, watch and see" period. However, I do think there are few needed setting adjustments that should be done now.

If you have a chance to look at the charts I posted earlier today, maybe you have some insight that you could share.  One of the biggest mysteries is why is my AHI so low during the first hours of sleep, but then steadily rising to many times higher by the time I awake in the morning.

Thank you for taking time to help me.

Best wishes,
Amitaba
Post Reply Post Reply
Post a 10-minute view of one of your clusters of CA events, one without a large leak. I'm expecting to see a waxing/waning pattern with CA events at the nadir of the series. This is what you see in true CSR breathing, unless you have a heart condition I seriously doubt it is actual CSR. This is representative of CO2-driven breathing and your body over-correcting and thus becoming cyclic in nature. Simply put Our bodies use the need to get rid of CO2 as our main drive to breathe. When your CO2 levels approach your Apneic threshold your drive to breathe lessesn and you see waning in the flow rate frequently followed by a CA event when your CO2 levels drop below your apneic threshold which is then followed by a slow waxing/increasing of your flow rate and your CO2 levels increasing overshooting and resulting in deeper breaths to once again lower your CO2 levels.

On charts, all you need to post are the first set unless we request more or you have a question about one of the others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am posting what I think you have requested.  If not please advise.  I only understood about 10% of your explanation, but I will study up on the terminology.  

BTW, when you refer to a "Heart Condition", what kind of condition.  I have heart issues, but I believe they are somewhat controlled.  I have one stent in the LAD Artery.  I have had (2016) an ablation of excess tissue protruding from the septum into the left ventricle (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).  I see my cardiologist regularly and he says I'm doing ok. Never-the-less, I have not been happy with my respiration for many years.
Thank you for your continued interest and guidance.  I am most grateful. Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Please post some up to date charts.
It seems that Trigger=Very High has been good for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
            Hello Everyone. Last night's AHI was 1.96, which is my lowest number ever.  My numbers have been much lower since I changed the Trigger setting to "Very High".  That one change reduced the "Open Airway Apnea" dramatically.  I find that I awake every night some time between 3:30 - 4:00am.  When I return to bed and put my mask on, it feels like I'm out of sync with the Bi-Pap. I'm working on my inhalation/exhalation pattern, but it often feels like the rhythm is off.  I encourage any insights or suggestions.

I am thrilled with the progress and am feeling less anxious and confused during the day.

Best wishes, 

Harry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to follow this thread which is by another member with similar issues to yours. I think he is similarly getting good results by using a fixed pressure, but is moving to ASV. We went into more depth on why the central events occur and why different therapy options work to mitigate it. In your case with the Vauto, the use of high or very-high trigger usually works to significantly reduce events and even out the breathing. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...apy-Thread
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amitaba,

I am cheering for your 'lowest number ever'.

[ I'm working on my inhalation/exhalation pattern, but it often feels like the rhythm is off. I encourage any insights or suggestions.]

No insights or suggestions. Just letting you know that you are not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider for referring me to Z's thread.  It took me a while to figure out how to "Subscribe" but I finally figured it out.  I'm now wondering if you think that I should "stay the course" with the AirCurve and the settings.  I feel that if I can keep my AHI below 5 on a sustained basis, that I'm doing ok.  That said, I would love to have some help tweaking my settings in order to achieve regularly low, low event numbers. Unless you or some others have suggestions for my settings or therapy, I plan to leave things alone and see if I adapt well to the way things are set up now.

I will say, I have been very frustrated by the lack of guidance that I have received from the Doctors and Therapists.  This Forum is an amazing blessing and I am very grateful to you and everyone who has taken an interest in seeing my therapy succeed.

Best wishes,
Amitaba
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll follow along on your thread and watch your progress with the Vauto. You don't seem to have predominately central apnea prior to therapy, so you are on the right track for now. It takes time to establish optimized settings and to fully appreciate if it produces good sleep. Your CAI remains higher than we like and there are indications of variable breathing as well as a relatively high number of events. ASV would certainly resolve that, but it's premature to conclude the Vauto can't achieve your goals at this point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 603 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 580 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.