Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] New to CPAP - Not Convinced Yet
[split] New to CPAP - Not Convinced Yet
Not convinced. 

I’ve tried the cpap for about 3 weeks and I’m just not convinced yet. When I had the finger monitor test done, my thyroid medication was too high and I was very unsettled. It’s coming down now where my heart isn’t pounding.
The Respiratory Therapist has me renting for a month at $400. and then I pay $2400. to purchase one. Very convincing sales person but I’m not able to accept his yet.  It wasn’t suggested that I speak to my Dr first which is what I’m going to do now. $2800. Is a lot right now. It’s tax time. I also travel  a lot and am off the grid frequently. I just don’t see his I can afford it and how this will all come together. I’ve read others struggles and to stay with it. I’m sorry ? I’m just not there right now and feel I need another test or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] New to CPAP - Not Convinced Yet
Hi welcome to the Apnea Board.

I was in very much the same situation when I started CPAP. I have other medical needs and certainly it can get discouraging. If I'd found this Apnea Board sooner who knows how much better off my therapy successes would have been.

Have you considered getting the free program called OSCAR? It can display your therapy data and we can see it as well when you attach it to a post in this thread. We can give assistance and suggestions to make the PAP therapy best for you and you will be successful with it then. Let us know how we can help. It's not normal to need a mask to breathe correctly while sleeping, so it will take time to get used to it.

I will leave your with this, if you've gotten this far, the Respiratory Therapist must have tested you for the need of CPAP. Hopefully we can help you be successful.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sylvia, it sounds as though you were tested with nothing but an oximeter to use during the night (the thing that clips onto your finger). Is that correct? If so, that is NOT a useful test for sleep apnea. It can measure only one thing: your blood O2 saturation levels. The results can't possible determine whether you have sleep apnea or not. Please request a home sleep apnea test!

I'm also just appalled by the amounts of money you're being asked to fork over. Right now, you can buy a new ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset on line for around $600 U.S. (You do need a prescription, which in the US can be written by a doctor, nurse practitioner, or dentist.)

I think you are dealing with a rotten organization that is interested in nothing but profit. Return the machine to them and have nothing more to do with them -- that would be my advice. As your doctor for a proper test for apnea and, if you need it, a way to buy a machine at reasonable cost. I'd say more to advise you, but I don't quite know how things work in B.C. Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed the same with the cost of equipment here in B.C. It seems the suppliers are geared more toward insured clients. The cost of my unit and accessories totaled slightly over 2500 most of which was payed by my primary and secondary insurance. I have priced them out online at a third of the price, however my primary  insurance company  would  not support a device purchased online, forcing me to purchase from a local  supplier. It was more cost effective for me to go through insurance. If I had no insurance I would have definitely shopped around.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don’t need support for your Cpap, that is what this site is for. The cost you are quoted is unreal. You can make your own changes to the settings and get excellent help here. 

For the most part the supplier does nothing after the purchase and if they do it takes a week to get any help while here you can get help the same day you post your Oscar (free download) charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
All true, staceyburke, but Sylvia may not even have had an actual sleep study. That's an important first step.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2021, 10:09 PM)Sylvia Wiebe Wrote: Not convinced. 

I’ve tried the cpap for about 3 weeks and I’m just not convinced yet. When I had the finger monitor test done, my thyroid medication was too high and I was very unsettled. It’s coming down now where my heart isn’t pounding.
The Respiratory Therapist has me renting for a month at $400. and then I pay $2400. to purchase one. Very convincing sales person but I’m not able to accept his yet.  It wasn’t suggested that I speak to my Dr first which is what I’m going to do now. $2800. Is a lot right now. It’s tax time. I also travel  a lot and am off the grid frequently. I just don’t see his I can afford it and how this will all come together. I’ve read others struggles and to stay with it. I’m sorry ? I’m just not there right now and feel I need another test or something.

What prompted you to to get to where you are right now. Most of us in Canada start with our family doctor, then get involved with the equipment suppliers. I live in Alberta Sylvia. I took a break from CPAP, but recently went back in April. While I have insurance coverage, my required medical certifications “expired”. I know the value of the therapy so simplyshopping. You don’t need a prescription to buy a CPAP in Canada, but a good idea to know what you need. I got a Resmed Airsense 10 through a distributor on Amazon. $800.00. I should have bought 2 as they are running around $1,000.00 now. Masks are still less than $150.00 vs. $300+. My CPAP came from BC, so cheaper suppliers are right in your back yard. The only thing you need help with is getting the right mask size, but what feels right sitting in the therapists office doesn’t always work in bed. Do get a proper sleep study through your doctor, then go shopping. Support like this site offers was not available when I started CPAP in the 90’s. These folks are awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sylvia, all good advice above.

Also you can test the interests of the supplier: yours or theirs, by asking to loan some masks for a few weeks at a time.

Finding the right mask (nasal vs full face) makes all the difference.

Buying these outright and then finding they don't work is pricey.

Don't know if that option is available to you, but you can only ask.

Here in OZ the monthly rental came off the purchase price once I decided to go ahead with this.
The masks are easily loaned for a week or two at a time. 

Once you know which one suits you, you can wait for special deals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me thinks she's left the building. Only that one post in April.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 521 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 275 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Need help with Clear Airway Events. rizlah 11 870 09-12-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: rizlah
  [split] GoodSleepHunting Therapy Thrapy Thread GoodSleepHunting 3 437 09-08-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Wellue O2Ring Questions NelsonM 4 538 07-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.