Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Modifying a P10 mask?
Modifying a P10 mask?
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever attempted to modify their P10 pillow mask? I'm having good luck with the mask so far, but I think it's mainly because I've been sleeping on my back. I'm not normally a back sleeper, so I think my behavior is modified because of the cpap. As I'm getting used to sleeping with this, I'm more often reverting to my normal side sleeping habits. The P10 nose part itself is fine, but the rigid plastic straps that are under the cloth headstrap are a problem. When laying on the side, those straps push the mask out of whack. Not enough to leak, but enough to cause moderate discomfort on the nasal septum. Not enough for serious pain, but enough to wake me up and make me move around.

My thought was to cut the straps down and just have a stub for the cloth strap to attach. I don't want to jack up a $100 mask though. Any thoughts?

thanks
partsmutt
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Modifying a P10 mask?
I had(have?) the same problem with my P10 when I use a normal foam pillow. I switched to a buckwheat/foam pillow and no longer experiencing this problem. The firmness of the buckwheat eliminates the compression only at the head area while the surrounding pillow wants to push up on the mask. Actually, I can use a FFM on my side without any problems with this pillow.

Concerning cutting the P10's support ribs; The plastic support ribs help in rotation positioning of the airways. Cutting them could invite more positional problems.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're still pretty new at this and I think you will find side-sleeping easier as time goes on. You might try changing the headset strap separation to find a position that moves the supports off the harder structures of the cheek bones. Cutting the supports would likely allow the pillows to rock downward and not seal as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll try moving the strap off my cheek bones. Then try a few pillows around the house as well. I appreciate the input.
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
That will help, I keep the straps just under my cheeks. The other thing that helps for me is:

On my back (I always start this way), my S-10 is on my left side on a table near the bed even with my head height. I take the hose and route it above the pillow between the pillow and head board.

I take the hose at the snorkel joint and "just" tuck it under the upper corner of the pillow which will be just above the right side of my head. This allows me to turn in either direction for side sleep or back to my starting position and seems to not move the mask out of position. Putting the "joint under the corner of the pillow leaves enough slack to turn and not pull.

One other suggestion, no matter what you try, make sure you give each adjustment 4-7 days to kind of find the "average". If you try something different every night then you tend to not really find a solution. I found for me, I would keep a log of some sort to see if each adjustment was better or worse. I found that I can't remember what I did 5 things ago, (or even yesterday)!LOL

The log thing was more when I was making adjustments to my therapy when I was looking for the most productive results.

(Nice Bike)............CoolCool

(05-03-2016, 01:41 PM)partsmutt Wrote: Thanks. I'll try moving the strap off my cheek bones. Then try a few pillows around the house as well. I appreciate the input.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good input on mask comfort by Ginzo. Adding to that, I have my entire hose, including most of the P10 hose encased in a fleece cover. If coming into contact with hard-ribbed plastic hose is disruptive. There are a lot of good ways to suspend the hose and cover it so it is no longer so medical looking, or feeling. It also can make it much easier to move at night without dislodging the pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider!

Hey partsmutt, any progress?
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought one of the special pillows and a chin strap. I put the chin strap over my head first and around my neck. Then put on the mask, then pull the strap up on top of my head. This helps keep the straps in place better. Now I only sleep on my side and some on my stomach. The pillow is oddly shaped and firm around the edges. Helps keep your head up off the soft pillow.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,755 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.