Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Request for Machine Recommendation
Request for Machine Recommendation
Apologies---couldn't find how to start new thread, so here 'tis, and if you can direct me to new thread procedure, I'd be happy to post there.

1 - My ResMed S8 no longer works, so am authorized for a new machine.  My choices are: another ResMed S8 (or equivalent) or a Respironics One Remstar PRO with C-Flex.  I'm looking for recommendations as to which one to choose...opinions, evaluations, etc.  BTW - I'm not new to CPAP world....been using one for 17 years...started off with a Sullivan V.

2 - Have also been given the option of going with the Wisp Nasal Mask, instead of the traditional ResMed nasal mask.

Would appreciate input from the group on both of these questions.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Request for Machine Recommendation
I moved your post to a new thread. I suggest you check out Arch's recommendations ...

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

To start a new thread you just click on the "New Thread" button, it's located just above the list of existing threads, right hand side of the screen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shvitzer, welcome to Apnea Board.

If you've been using a Sullivan / Resmed for so long I can't see that you'd want to change. The current version is the Resmed Airsense A10, which comes as CPAP, Elite, Autoset and Autoset for Her. Try to avoid the basic CPAP as this has very limited data capabilities. The Elite is a fixed pressure machine (same pressure all night) while the Autosets will vary the pressure as required for treatment but generally keeps the pressure low for comfort. The For Her has an additional gentle mode and somewhat enhanced data reporting.

If your existing S8 is an auto type, you should go for one of the Autosets but if you have (and are happy with) a fixed pressure machine then you could stick with the Elite. However, the Autoset does give you a mini-sleep test every night.

The S8 is now twice superseded, so I'd look for a more up to date machine

Good luck with your decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 05:29 PM)Shvitzer Wrote: Apologies---couldn't find how to start new thread, so here 'tis, and if you can direct me to new thread procedure, I'd be happy to post there.

1 - My ResMed S8 no longer works, so am authorized for a new machine. My choices are: another ResMed S8 (or equivalent) or a Respironics One Remstar PRO with C-Flex. I'm looking for recommendations as to which one to choose...opinions, evaluations, etc. BTW - I'm not new to CPAP world....been using one for 17 years...started off with a Sullivan V.

2 - Have also been given the option of going with the Wisp Nasal Mask, instead of the traditional ResMed nasal mask.

Would appreciate input from the group on both of these questions. Thanks.

"S8" doesn't tell us enough. There are several S8 models. Do you have S8 Elite, Escape, AutoSet, or what?

I doubt they're offering you a new S8. Is it an S9, or an AirCurve 10 (A10)? If so, which model?

There's information on models in the useful links in my signature line below.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 08:32 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Shvitzer, welcome to Apnea Board.

If you've been using a Sullivan / Resmed for so long I can't see that you'd want to change. The current version is the Resmed Airsense A10, which comes as CPAP, Elite, Autoset and Autoset for Her. Try to avoid the basic CPAP as this has very limited data capabilities. The Elite is a fixed pressure machine (same pressure all night) while the Autosets will vary the pressure as required for treatment but generally keeps the pressure low for comfort. The For Her has an additional gentle mode and somewhat enhanced data reporting.

If your existing S8 is an auto type, you should go for one of the Autosets but if you have (and are happy with) a fixed pressure machine then you could stick with the Elite. However, the Autoset does give you a mini-sleep test every night.

The S8 is now twice superseded, so I'd look for a more up to date machine

Good luck with your decision.

Great....will take all of this info into consideration. One question remains re a nasal mask...I've been offered the choice of going with a Wisp nasal, as opposed to the ResMed nasal mask I've always used. Any thoughts/info re this item? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are a really personal choice - what is great for me will be terrible for you. I think you just need to try for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using the wisp nasal mask 2 nights ago and I love it. Although YMMV. Some people love it and some hate it. If you can trial it that'd be the way to go. I use the s9 autoset and love the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 01:44 PM)truetopath Wrote: I just started using the wisp nasal mask 2 nights ago and I love it. Although YMMV. Some people love it and some hate it. If you can trial it that'd be the way to go. I use the s9 autoset and love the machine.

Thanks for the input. Expect to find out tomorrow what my options are for a ResMed "S" series.. Won't make a mask decision without a trial.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 12:50 AM)archangle Wrote:
(02-28-2015, 05:29 PM)Shvitzer Wrote: Apologies---couldn't find how to start new thread, so here 'tis, and if you can direct me to new thread procedure, I'd be happy to post there.

1 - My ResMed S8 no longer works, so am authorized for a new machine. My choices are: another ResMed S8 (or equivalent) or a Respironics One Remstar PRO with C-Flex. I'm looking for recommendations as to which one to choose...opinions, evaluations, etc. BTW - I'm not new to CPAP world....been using one for 17 years...started off with a Sullivan V.

Would appreciate input from the group on both of these questions. Thanks.

"S8" doesn't tell us enough. There are several S8 models. Do you have S8 Elite, Escape, AutoSet, or what?

I doubt they're offering you a new S8. Is it an S9, or an AirCurve 10 (A10)? If so, which model?

There's information on models in the useful links in my signature line below.

Current machine is S8 "Compact"....8 years old. Will post as soon as I find out what my ResMed options are. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 06:37 PM)Shvitzer Wrote: Current machine is S8 "Compact"....8 years old. Will post as soon as I find out what my ResMed options are. Thanks.

I believe the S8 compact is a manual CPAP with very limited data collection.

The Philips Respironics PRS1 PRO is an excellent manual CPAP. Be careful that they don't switch you out for a PRS1 Plus, DS260, or PRS1 SE model. Insist on the Pro or better. The Pro has good data collection, which gives you and your doctor enormously better tools to manage your therapy. Other models collect "data," but it's often virtually useless.

The PRS1 Auto model would be better, but the Pro is OK. The Auto has an auto mode, but it will also work as a manual CPAP.

For ResMed avoid the S9 Escape and Escape Auto. Avoid the A10 (AirSense 10) "CPAP" model. Get at least the S9 or A10 Elite. The S9 or A10 AutoSet is better, and the A10 AutoSet for Her is even better. (The "for her" model also does "for him" modes.)

S9 machines have the model name by the power button. A10 machines have the name in the lower right corner near the humidifier tank.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help request... zsearcher 25 1,208 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Exclaimation OSCAR: OSCAR Beta Tester Request Crimson Nape 1 709 02-23-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] New with CPAP Request Assist with OSCAR Charts YankeeLaker 18 1,121 01-30-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 263 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Request for help in improving therapy Evena 14 1,084 01-14-2024, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.