Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] ResMed AirSense 10 - Diabetes and Low O2
[split] ResMed AirSense 10 - Diabetes and Low O2
I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or where to put this, so my apologies if it seems I'm derailing the thread.

I have had my Airsense 10 for a couple years now, but have been using Philips Dreamwear for a mask and do love both the machine and having a mask with a hose attaching on top of my head instead of by my nose...far quieter. I had also changed my cushion to one with a slot instead of nasal prongs (or whatever the term) and have normally loved that, too...nothing stuck up my nose.

Seemed my perfect setup and maybe still is, but the last few weeks, while I've generally slept well, I've been a bit more tired than normal. Some of it I had put off as adjusting my diet to work on my weight and diabetes. However, this past week I'd been thinking my blood sugar was dropping a little low in the morning, then leveling out by noon when I'd feel better again. But, I just got a smart watch and, while I'm not sure how much to trust those readings, it reads my 02 level among other things and has been low 90s in the morning since I got it, upper 90s later in the day.

So, it has me thinking...maybe it's not my diet adjustment that's the reason I've felt a little lightheaded in the morning, an adjustment of some kind is needed in my therapy. Tonight I think I'll start by changing my nasal cushion and see what that does.

Sidebar, if any of you have used the Dreamwear mask, did/does it feel to you like you can't quite get the cushion at the optimum angle? With one negative to that mask being...that angle isn't as adjustable as with others.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] ResMed AirSense 10 - Diabetes and Low O2
You may have a lower oxygenation percentage in the morning after rest -- sometimes affected by weight, sleeping position, heart rate, or other underlying issues -- and it tends to increase as you become more active with an increased heart rate and respiration.

If you are experiencing a feeling of being lightheaded upon arising or suddenly sitting up, it might be positional hypotension -- low blood pressure. Time for a call to your physician because non-cpap events can be indicative of other medical conditions and the last thing you need is to pass out or fall.

Do you have the new and improved Dreamwear mask with the arms or the old one that slips more?

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2020, 10:10 AM)sitewolf Wrote: Seemed my perfect setup and maybe still is, but the last few weeks, while I've generally slept well, I've been a bit more tired than normal. Some of it I had put off as adjusting my diet to work on my weight and diabetes. However, this past week I'd been thinking my blood sugar was dropping a little low in the morning, then leveling out by noon when I'd feel better again. But, I just got a smart watch and, while I'm not sure how much to trust those readings, it reads my 02 level among other things and has been low 90s in the morning since I got it, upper 90s later in the day.

Sleep and diabetes work together - good sleep makes the diabetes easier to control, and good diabetes control makes it easier to get good sleep. Keeping them both working properly is a PITA, but it's possible. It just takes a lot of trial and error to get them both right. 

You didn't mention what therapy you are using for the diabetes - pills (which?), insulin, weekly injections (which?), or just diet and exercise? There are whole web sites devoted to diabetes, but for now I should say that low BG in the morning should not affect your sleep unless it is really, really low. Your BG is supposed to be on the low side in the morning because, after all, you haven't eaten anything for a long time.

Your O2 levels should be fairly constant, except if you are exercising heavily they normally drop. If you are low in the morning that may mean that something is affecting your circulation at that time. And normally, when your O2 level drops you automatically breathe deeply, huffing and puffing if necessary. When your O2 levels are low, do you feel shortness of breath? If not I would question the accuracy of your watch. Maybe the moisure/salt on your skin changes and then affects the readings of the watch.
Post Reply Post Reply
A cheap O2 monitor is only 20 some dollars, i'm sure it would be more accurate.  If it is really concerning the cheapest night time O2 monitor is CMS 50F.  It costs about $100 on amazon and 75 on ebay.  I own one and it can be imported to OSCAR or downloaded to the software that comes with the monitor.  It can be worn all day if you want and record the entire day for review.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2020, 02:52 PM)staceyburke Wrote: A cheap O2 monitor is only 20 some dollars, i'm sure it would be more accurate.  If it is really concerning the cheapest night time O2 monitor is CMS 50F.  It costs about $100 on amazon and 75 on ebay.  I own one and it can be imported to OSCAR or downloaded to the software that comes with the monitor.  It can be worn all day if you want and record the entire day for review.

Take precautions to ensure the seller is not a flake and the pulse-oximeter is not a fake. Ordering these from China is a crap-shoot. My goto guy for pulse-ox advice and equipment is Keven Cooper -- Vendor #19. Their knowledge, pricing. and customer service is all first-rate.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
As you already know you can return any item to amazon.  The O2 meter may be made in another country buy you are dealing with amazon. I have been on O2 24/7 and it is important that I keep track of the O2 level in my blood. I have purchased several monitors over the years and have never had a problem.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sleep apnea and COPD. When I sleep at night I breathe very shallow and my oxygen level drops below 90. I therefore have oxygen piped into my ResMed Air Sence 10 Autoset to bring my oxygen level up while I sleep. Without the oxygen I am completely drained in the morning with no energy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2020, 09:07 PM)wlr1974 Wrote: I have sleep apnea and COPD. When I sleep at night I breathe very shallow and my oxygen level drops below 90. I therefore have oxygen piped into my ResMed Air Sence 10 Autoset to bring my oxygen level up while I sleep. Without the oxygen I am completely drained in the morning with no energy.

@wlr1974

Do you inject the supplemental oxygen into the hose or directly into the mask using a mask port?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 26 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,809 6 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,617 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.