Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Respironics flow limitation info
[split] Respironics flow limitation info
Since the talk about Resmed and dreamstations I have one problem with the Dreamstation when using it. I don't know what a flow limitation event on the Dreamstation is.

On the Resmed it's on a graph and you can see exactly whats going on. I'd like to know how much of a limitation it takes to trigger a limitation event on the Dreamstation.

20%, 30% ? Anyone know the answer to this?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Respironics flow limitation info
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I'd question how straightforward it really is to "see exactly what is going on" in the ResMed flow limitation graph you mentioned.

This is a recent review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629962/

Quote:In order to evaluate flow limitations, Respironics determines roundness, flatness, skewness, and WPF to rate the most recent four breaths as better, worse, or the same compared to baseline. Roundness is determined by the similarity of the WPF between 5% and 95% values to a sine wave. Flatness is determined by the absolute value of the variance between 20% and 80% of inspiratory flow from the average of all the values in the same period, divided by 80% volume point. Skewness is determined by dividing the average of the highest 5% of flows in the mid third of the breath by the average of the highest 5% of flows in the first third of the breath.

What combination of all that is counted as an "event" is not clear. I don't know if they've specified publicly anywhere.

Quote:ResMed also determines flow limitation. S8 AutoSet defines flow limitation using flatness of an inspiratory breath. The flatness index is calculated by the RMS deviation from unit scaled flow calculated over the middle 50% of a normalized inspiratory breath.4 From the S9 onward, flow limitation is calculated using a combination of flatness index, breath shape index, ventilation change, and breath duty cycle. Ventilation change is the ratio of the current breath ventilation to recent 3-minute ventilation. Breath duty cycle is the ratio of current breath time of inspiration to total breath time of recent 5 minutes. If a breath is severely flow limited, the flow limitation index will be closer to one and when the breath is normal or round, the flow limitation index will be zero.

So when I look at my S10 Autoset download and see a bar for "0.33 flow limitation", what combination of flatness index, breath shape index, ventilatory change, and breath duty cycle computes to 0.33? It's not as if they are saying it means a 33% reduction in flow or some direct translation like that.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was quite a way of saying I don't know. I guess that's the Doctor in you.

Being the dummy I am I like to see the graph and where the machine reacts to it. It may not be exact but it does give me something to gauge by.

The Dreamstation gives me nothing to compare the FL event to before or after. Thus the question of what it is.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2018, 07:55 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I like to see the graph and where the machine reacts to it. It may not be exact but it does give me something to gauge by.

The Dreamstation gives me nothing to compare the FL event to before or after. Thus the question of what it is.

I like how easy it is to see the event flags for flow limit on the DreamStation. If I want to see a visual representation of what is being reacted to, I look at the flow rate tracings.
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply
Shin,
I'm not debating you about what you like about the Dreamstation. I'm just trying to find an answer to my question.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
deleted, waste of time
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 100 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 266 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,255 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,615 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.