Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Rice95 Therapy [positional apnea, help with collars]
RE: [split] Rice95 Therapy [positional apnea, help with collars]
Good morning! Coffee

I haven't been posting because the new collar I ordered was a failure. I was going for something a little smaller and a little more comfortable. That was a mistake. Numbers consistently averaging 7-8 on a daily basis. 

The new Corflex collar FINALLY came in yesterday. (I had thrown this away in hopes of being able to ditch a collar completely. This collar has always given me consistently good numbers, but was a little rigid and tall)

I have a few prior posts with the Velpau collar from Amazon which had good reviews and looked confortable. It was comfortable but yielded numbers in the 7's for several days, so I took it off to see what it would be like with no collar at all since the numbers were so bad. Well...needless to say, that is NOT an option for me. 

First Chart: With my dependable collar, the Corflex collar

Second Chart: NO COLLAR WORN

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
In case this helps, I just use an ordinary Foam Sleep Collar, but I wear it back to front, so that the fat foam bit is under my chin!

That seems to work, at least for me, and was the key that helped me to crack CPAP, because pressure alone wasn't doing it.

As I now understand it, almost no amount of pressure will do it if chin tucking closes off the airway.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Rice, I can't  believe you threw your collar away! Oh-jeez   You must have really wanted to ditch it, which I can understand.

You just can't argue with the results showing on your charts with and without the collar.  But the right collar does matters, and I think you found it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal

I was convinced I had licked the positional apnea...so much that I ditched it. NOPE

Apnea is no joke and you have to do what you have to do to protect your body. 

I hope this trend continues!!
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Post Reply Post Reply
MoreBeers

That's  an interesting point-----what's weird though is the very first collar I had didn't have a chin dip and my numbers were bad because my chin was slipping through the collar, while with the dip the chin goes OVER the collar. Maybe yours wasn't wide enough? The Corflex is wide and has a dip. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Good Thursday morning to everyone!

Collar is working great! I haven't had numbers like this in weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great!  Next time you decide to ditch your collar, think...   Hammer
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all! Coffee

My numbers have been great since I started using the Corflex collar again. 

I also think I was sleeping too high on my flat pillow and my collar was acting as a "raised pillow' and cocking my head slightly. Since I have become more 'aware' at night of this my numbers have dropped even more. Now only my head rests on the pillow, not the collar, so I have to scootch down on the pillow to pull that off------AND no back sleeping allowed!

I feel VERY rested!!!

Here are numbers from last night.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone!!!

Its been forever since I've posted. Long story. 

Here are my last 3 nights. Hi Opal! (if you're still here?)

You are the most familiar with my set up. 

Nights have been like a roller coaster. I'm still wearing the collar and have a flat pillow. Still on same settings on Res Med with morning bloating usually. 

The screenshots are pretty much the way it has been for a while. From good to bad every week. What do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
The last time you posted was October.  I lost track as to what collar you were using.

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, unless it's just a bad fit. But there is no doubt that you need to use one.  

I don't know what else I can suggest.  Use a flatter pillow and make sure it doesn't tilt your head forward.  Try a different style collar.  

You need to find a way to stay off your back at least until you find that combination pillow and collar that will keep your head and neck aligned.

I'm hoping others that have had success with using a collar will chime in as to what worked for them.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

https://dualbandchinstrap.com/
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.