Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Rice95 Therapy [positional apnea, help with collars]
RE: [split] Rice95 Therapy [positional apnea, help with collars]
There is a thing called a body pillow. It is something that many pregnant women have found helpful to their sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon. I would try that but my head has to be flat because of my chin tucking issues. All the ones I’ve found are very high at the pillow area. I bought a foam wedge last night to try to keep me on my side. 
If anyone else out there has had luck with side sleep devices that stay in place let me know.
Thank you
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
Good afternoon! Coffee

The foam wedge to keep me on my side came in. I have the last 2 nights posted. It definitely has improved my positional apnea coupled with the collar I wear. This one was a winner. It has to be adjusted when I turn over on my other side in the middle of the night, and I am aware enough to make sure the wedge is back in place.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like a winner!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal!

The pillow is a ‘medical wedge pillow for patients after surgery.’ It doesn’t have a specific ‘name’ but you can search that description and find it. It is blue. It stays in place pretty good as long as you begin the night with it wedged in place under your side, but not too much or it’s uncomfortable.

Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee 
Good morning !

We are replacing our downstairs floors all the way to the slab. Dust everywhere. I’m at my mother in laws house (who is away)with our Pomeranian to escape the workers and demo. 

I downsized the Sleep wedge so it’s more manageable at night. My positional clusters were going up with the old wedge and unfortunately with the smaller one the positional clusters were still present, and I know I’ve been staying on my side. 

This new one is still the shape of a wedge but more like a throw pillow size. It has a velvet cover so it really grips the bed at night and does what it is supposed to do …but my numbers were still going up. Oh-jeez I know I’ve been staying on my side. SO …I tried something. With the collar on it’s raising my head too high on my pillow I think.  My pillow is only 2 inches thick , but when I sleep with the collar on the pillow itself , it defeats the purpose of a skinny pillow. I did an experiment the last 2 nights. I tried only allowing my head to be on the pillow and the collar was off the pillow , so all I did was moved my head down enough so the collar was not in contact with the pillow…and I’m sure my neck and spine are more in alignment. 

Boom….positional clusters significantly improved. Numbers went from the teens to 1 and 2 the last 2 nights. 
For now this is Gold. I hope I’m on to something!

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2022, 06:09 AM)Rice95 Wrote: I did an experiment the last 2 nights. I tried only allowing my head to be on the pillow and the collar was off the pillow , so all I did was moved my head down enough so the collar was not in contact with the pillow…and I’m sure my neck and spine are more in alignment. 

Boom….positional clusters significantly improved. Numbers went from the teens to 1 and 2 the last 2 nights. 
For now this is Gold. I hope I’m on to something!

Positional apnea can occur even when sleeping on your side.  Thanks for explaining how you overcame sleeping with your collar and positioning your head correctly on your pillow.

Hopefully this will help others too.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal! Yes, you are correct. Side sleeping can still induce clusters. I’m a living example! Keeping consistent numbers below 3 are not as easy as I had hoped, but I’m starting to nail this down by trial and error …mostly error  Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee
Good Wednesday morning !

Another great morning! I kept the collar off the pillow again last night and yielded a 1.7 AHI. I’m still using the smaller wedge. It really keeps me off my back.

I will start posting my Oscar chart once all the flooring is installed. Right now I’m living out of a bag so to speak. They finish the floor demo today. Floor guy comes tomorrow to level the slab and then install the vinyl planks. 

Have a great Wednesday!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 2 91 4 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,100 10 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 234 Today, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 384 Today, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,370 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 603 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 495 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.