Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft collar - Protection against sweat
RE: [split] Soft collar - Protection against sweat
I have a bottle of Granger's Xtreme Repel. It is designed to reapply waterproofing to fabrics like Gore-Tex. It advertises that it has maximum repellency and breathability. I don't know if it would be of any help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think waterproofing is the answer. Waterproofing prevents absorption which removes the moisture from the surface. I think you're headed towards a more uncomfortable, wet, clammy experience with this approach. I would look for the athletic fabrics that wick moisture quickly from the surface and a ore absorbent filler that will dry during periods it is not in use. I have not heard similar objections from some of the alternative brands like Caldera Releaf, Nine Max or others in the thread where members are discussing the best cervical collar. Waterproofing pffft! Put plastic around your neck and see how that works out!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
pffft indeed!  sail's a'luffing. Bigwink  mixing metaphors, would that we could clone you Sleeprider.  we are but wandering  OSCAR   without your level-headed counsel.  10% needling you big brother. Rolleyes   90% serious.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best soft collar?
(06-03-2018, 05:51 PM)sheepless Wrote: great ideas. keep 'em coming.  

very large stretchy socks might work.  getting my wife to break out the sewing machine might require some high stakes negotiation but also good idea.  I like the idea of the dr dakota but I saw only the large size on amazon. having a stubby neck means I need about 2.5 - 2.75 inches vertical rise max. dr dakota website shows a regular size but no vertical dimension visible. will have to call.

Have her bring out the machine and teach you how to do it. I've used a machine for simple stuff (hardest part is not naming the threading and the initial threading). Get a tee shirt, cut in 1/2 and size to fit. Bonus is to do things like use flannel cloth (ask wife, she can get some and craft stores, especially remnants), and add velcro (again craft stores or even Walmart if I recall correctly) to make putting in on/off easy (can make washing worse, will need to be hand washed).
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks mdhampton. maybe it's not so difficult after all. also thinking just having more than one will do, assuming collar will take a while to air dry following hand wash. like so many things, the trade off is between shelling out $$ vs time/energy/skill to make.
Post Reply Post Reply
I taught myself how to use a sewing machine, it takes some practice ing getting the speed/tension and such, but I bet the wife will love to teach you... only question is patience level of bot participants. As they say, suck it up, buttercup.
Post Reply Post Reply
"As they say, suck it up, buttercup." heh. good advice.

so I think I've now read not all collars are foam like my drug store model and that people generally feel foam is hot. it's certainly absorbant. have to look into the other models mentioned here.

seems collars are going to be hotter than no collar no matter what. I wonder, though, if night sweats, which might be something different than the collar retaining heat, are a symptom of stuggling with untreated and undertreated apnea. I've long complained that sleep is exhausting (and like most others I'm here hoping to fix that)
Post Reply Post Reply
Night sweats can be caused by many things, including normal body heat restricted by bedding/pillows/etc. Do mention to Dr, but I haven't has them until recently (been severely animia for just under a year), and I'm just getting to the point where I'm not cold all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have 2 of the Caldera collers. I just run them through the washer and dryer, swapping back and forth. But I don’t sweat that much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 519 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 334 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 353 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 500 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 747 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 353 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.