Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Uncontrolled AHI
[split] Uncontrolled AHI
Help I am lost!  I have been using CPAP for over a year and have AHI numbers from 1.5 to 20!  This was last night and I cannot figure out how to get low consistent numbers!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie DreamStation Auto
Hi CO CPAP1981! - Welcome

If your sleep sessions have been 1-2 AHI and this is just last night, then it's an anomaly. Almost everyone experiences a "bad" night every so often.  If this was the "normal" for several nights, then it would be of significance.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2020, 11:43 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi CO CPAP1981! - Welcome

If your sleep sessions have been 1-2 AHI and this is just last night, then it's an anomaly.  Almost everyone experiences a "bad" night every so often.  If this was the "normal" for several nights, then it would be of significance.

I have not had a single digit AHI in two weeks and have more double digit lately than ones under 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
CO CPAP1981,

So that your therapy need is better to find and so as not to hijack the original poster's thread, I'll suggest you create your own thread. This way you can get the assistance you're situation deserves. Thank you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry! The way I read your post, was that you have been at 1-2 AHI for over a year until last night. OK! Has anything changed recently, aches and pains, medications, your cuisine, changes in altitude, sleeping habits, and/or stress?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Uncontrolled AHI
With a pressure range of 5 to 12 cm on a Philips auto CPAP we need to optimize the minimum pressure. The Philips machines are simply too slow to get ahead of events until they are already in progress. You might get away with it on a Resmed which responds faster based on flow limitations, but not the Dreamstation.

Based on thie chart posted above an appropriate minimum pressure is closer to 9.0. If that is uncomfortable you can try 8.0 but I don’t see anything less as effective. This will lower events and reduce pressure fluctuations and be less disruptive to sleep. We need to watch the pattern of event clustering which may point to a positional apnea issue. It’s very important to get the minimum pressylure to an effective level, so that is where I recommend we start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2020, 01:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With a pressure range of 5 to 12 cm on a Philips auto CPAP we need to optimize the minimum pressure. The Philips machines are simply too slow to get ahead of events until they are already in progress.   You might get away with it on a Resmed which responds faster based on flow limitations, but not the Dreamstation.

Based on thie chart posted above an appropriate minimum pressure is closer to 9.0. If that is uncomfortable you can try 8.0 but I don’t see anything less as effective. This will lower events and reduce pressure fluctuations and be less disruptive to sleep. We need to watch the pattern of event clustering which may point to a positional apnea issue.  It’s very important to get the minimum pressylure to an effective level, so that is where I recommend we start.

Ok I will try and up my minimum pressure and see how it impacts my numbers.  Thank you for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2020, 10:19 AM)CO CPAP1981 Wrote: Help I am lost!  I have been using CPAP for over a year and have AHI numbers from 1.5 to 20!  This was last night and I cannot figure out how to get low consistent numbers!

After being stable with an acceptably low AHI for a number of years my numbers started to climb for no immediately obvious reason.. 

So after some experimenting I have gone from an original fixed 7.0 with a F&P Eson nose mask to now being on Auto PAP with my Dreamstation and using a ResMed AirFit F20 full face mask.

I now am using a minimum of 8.0 and a maximum of 15.0 - no ramp and no EPAP.. I am consistently sleeping for longer periods before waking, and going back to sleep more easily after getting up for a "wee walk" -

My AHI with the Dreamstation is now the lowest has ever been since starting CPAP.

Now I'm commonly below 1.0 with my normal nightly AHI between 0.3 and 0.6 each night.

Good luck with getting your settings sorted to suit your needs going forward.
Coffee
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2020, 12:25 AM)CO CPAP1981 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 01:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With a pressure range of 5 to 12 cm on a Philips auto CPAP we need to optimize the minimum pressure. The Philips machines are simply too slow to get ahead of events until they are already in progress.   You might get away with it on a Resmed which responds faster based on flow limitations, but not the Dreamstation.

Based on thie chart posted above an appropriate minimum pressure is closer to 9.0. If that is uncomfortable you can try 8.0 but I don’t see anything less as effective. This will lower events and reduce pressure fluctuations and be less disruptive to sleep. We need to watch the pattern of event clustering which may point to a positional apnea issue.  It’s very important to get the minimum pressylure to an effective level, so that is where I recommend we start.

Ok I will try and up my minimum pressure and see how it impacts my numbers.  Thank you for the advice!

Here is my second night with the new minimum pressure at 9!  I have not seen an AHI this low in months.  Thank you for the advice....do you see anything else I should do?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I love a happy ending. This is a great result. If anything, make small 0.5 cm increases in pressure to titrate out remaining obstruction, but focus on comfort now. You have a safe landing point with these settings, but there might be a bit more for you if you take it slow.

It’s not required and I don’t want to pander but you can always pay it forward by hitting the Donate button. It’s the only way Supersleeper can keep the forum and support for Oscar moving forward.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Need help with Clear Airway Events. rizlah 11 871 09-12-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: rizlah
  [split] GoodSleepHunting Therapy Thrapy Thread GoodSleepHunting 3 439 09-08-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Wellue O2Ring Questions NelsonM 4 539 07-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.