Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Using Goodknight 418, Is it time to update?
[split] Using Goodknight 418, Is it time to update?
This is my first post in this website.  I just learned about it today from a friend in another forum.

I have been using CPAP since 1998.  I still use the original machine I bought - a GoodKnight 418 made by Puritan Bennett (spelling might be wrong).  I use a Sullivan humidifier and still use the same nasal masks I had.  They are resmed Mirage.  They stopped making them about five or more years ago and when I waned to buy another one and was told they weren't being made I called the factory.  A fantastic lady explained it to me and I asked if by accident they had any left in stock or parts leftover or whatever.  She called back in a half hour or so and said she was shipping me three new in package ones and enough parts to make about five more masks.  When I asked how much she said it was free and to enjoy.  I sure have and still thank the lady and company.  I keep them going with Shoegoo and other adhesives plus anything else that keeps them going.

I am finding out from a couple of other folks that my 22 year old machine is a rarity.  I still like it and it works just fine.  Constant pressure (hey its old and before this new stuff that changes pressure).  Best thing about it is it has a monotone output.  I tried a couple of newer machines once and they all make a two tone sound like a British Ambulance in the movies.... 

Anyhoo I hope to meet lots of other users here and have some fun
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Welcome! I'm a newbie here as well. I just got a new machine after 18 years with my old Resmed S6. I was similarly grieved when my favorite mask was discontinued. I never thought to ask the factory. . . Hope you can upgrade and find a better sleep as I recently did. ResMed Airsense 10 Auto. My wife is awed that she can't hear it anymore after all this time and I'm overjoyed that my apnea is better controlled than ever before!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a downside to the whiteness,. My wife kept waking me asking are you still breathing because she could no longer hear me and machine doing so. She learned after about a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are hired to be the advocate of our position that, data doesn't matter, it's how your feel.

If you ever get your hands on a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, you are going to drop that old machine in a heartbeat. You are using the "bag-phone" of cellular, and the Apple iPhone X awaits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2020, 04:35 PM)flytboyut Wrote: This is my first post in this website.  I just learned about it today from a friend in another forum.

I have been using CPAP since 1998.  I still use the original machine I bought - a GoodKnight 418 made by Puritan Bennett (spelling might be wrong).  I use a Sullivan humidifier and still use the same nasal masks I had.  They are resmed Mirage.  They stopped making them about five or more years ago and when I waned to buy another one and was told they weren't being made I called the factory.  A fantastic lady explained it to me and I asked if by accident they had any left in stock or parts leftover or whatever.  She called back in a half hour or so and said she was shipping me three new in package ones and enough parts to make about five more masks.  When I asked how much she said it was free and to enjoy.  I sure have and still thank the lady and company.  I keep them going with Shoegoo and other adhesives plus anything else that keeps them going.

I am finding out from a couple of other folks that my 22 year old machine is a rarity.  I still like it and it works just fine.  Constant pressure (hey its old and before this new stuff that changes pressure).  Best thing about it is it has a monotone output.  I tried a couple of newer machines once and they all make a two tone sound like a British Ambulance in the movies.... 

Anyhoo I hope to meet lots of other users here and have some fun

Great to see you on here, brother!!!  You should hear the quietness of the Dreamstation...I didn't even know if it was on until air started blowing when I pushed the button!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I can hear the machine I have but it sounds like "white noise" and is just a low pitched hum that doesn't bother me or the wife.  The most important thing is its monotone and not the two tone like a British Ambulance.

I tried a newer unit about five years ago or so and it was markedly louder than my Goodknight 418 plus it had that horrible two toned noise.  I hope my old unit lasts for a long long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Using Goodknight 418, Is it time to update?
I have split this thread from the CPAP Success Stories thread and hope you will be able to bring your therapy into the 21st century. You have one of the oldest legacy machines I have ever seen anyone still using, and while this museum piece is interesting, it seems you might be ready to update. This thread should help you to get some ideas.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually am really happy with my old machine and hope it continues working for a long long time.  I have another Goodknoight 418 machine that I got used for a spare in case my 22 year old one breaks down.

I wonder why the mask makers dont make a nasal mask that has the air feed tube coming in at the top like the old Mirage mask.  That has really worked well and the hose doesnt get in the way like the ones that go down towards you neck/chest would.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several like that. There are ones that cradle the nose and some pillows plus a couple others. Go to the supplier # 1. You can look at all the different models and there are a lot of them.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.