Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Worried - Could I have lung damage from exposure to hot plastic?
I have the ResMed Airsense 10 autosense. I have had three different machines over the last 7 years. I find the current machine easy to use and see.  Much better design than other machines I've seen.  I have had one problem. After about 1 year the machine overheated when the humidifier ran out of water. I would wake and be breathing the smell of hot plastic.  I called the provider I purchased machine from. They immediately replaced the machine. I am worried about what kind of damage to my lungs might be done by the exposure to the hot plastic.  I normally like my CPAP. It allows me to get restful sleep and also helps me avoid taking antihistamines every night because of dust.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier heating unit does not approach the combustion temperature of plastics, and its heat is applied to a stainless steel base on the humidifier chamber. Although the warm metal and empty plastic container may have some odor, it would not produce harmful fumes.
Post Reply Post Reply
What do you have your humidity level set at or are you using auto (ClimateLine hose)?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

The chance that it got so hot as to produce toxic fumes is very low. Heated enough to make a smell is like burning toast. It can still be buttered up and good.

Do not worry about it Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
If you were using tap water, you might have smelled some minerals overheating.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Naps IowaMC60 5 242 10-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [split] AirFit™ N20 fitting mogulman 2 135 10-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Spy Car
  Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic Nirvana 10 6,674 10-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: kiwii
  [split] RESMED OXIMETRY KIT FOR AIRSENSE 10 SERIES storywizard 9 218 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  [CPAP] Jaw/Teeth Damage Deb Olender 7 2,962 08-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: NorCal
  [split] Take charge of your therapy - Heated tube Kathy123 8 462 08-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  [split] Masks with DreamStation Go levman 4 356 08-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Last Post: levman