Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Worried - Could I have lung damage from exposure to hot plastic?
[split] Worried - Could I have lung damage from exposure to hot plastic?
I have the ResMed Airsense 10 autosense. I have had three different machines over the last 7 years. I find the current machine easy to use and see.  Much better design than other machines I've seen.  I have had one problem. After about 1 year the machine overheated when the humidifier ran out of water. I would wake and be breathing the smell of hot plastic.  I called the provider I purchased machine from. They immediately replaced the machine. I am worried about what kind of damage to my lungs might be done by the exposure to the hot plastic.  I normally like my CPAP. It allows me to get restful sleep and also helps me avoid taking antihistamines every night because of dust.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Worried - Could I have lung damage from exposure to hot plastic?
The humidifier heating unit does not approach the combustion temperature of plastics, and its heat is applied to a stainless steel base on the humidifier chamber. Although the warm metal and empty plastic container may have some odor, it would not produce harmful fumes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What do you have your humidity level set at or are you using auto (ClimateLine hose)?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The chance that it got so hot as to produce toxic fumes is very low. Heated enough to make a smell is like burning toast. It can still be buttered up and good.

Do not worry about it Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
If you were using tap water, you might have smelled some minerals overheating.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,119 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 524 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Lung Cancer and my ResMed AirCurve 10 ApneaGirl 2 273 01-30-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ApneaGirl
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Not new to CPAP, minus one lung Tyler NZ 4 385 01-20-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Tyler NZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.