Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] gadgetmaniah - Low AHI, but still tired
RE: [split] gadgetmaniah - Low AHI, but still tired
Read this to improve your screen shots.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...creen_Shot

So we can really see the things we need to see to help you.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Thanks very much for the reply! I hope the screenshots attached here are better.

I think it would be useful to give a brief background to my therapy and what exactly I am trying to improve.

I started CPAP therapy about a couple of months ago and I have not had a sleep study. I started and optimized my therapy through help on another CPAP related forum. If I set my minimum pressure to 4, my average pressure tends to stay around 6. However, I have noticed that at that pressure my breaths look quite flow limited, and I think that that is reflected a bit in the flow limit chart of the OSCAR screenshot below in which my minimum pressure is at 4.

CPAP has helped me a lot and I definitely feel a major difference by using it. Before starting to use it I had the typical symptoms of sleep apnea: extreme tiredness after waking up, vague headaches, brain fog, and drowsiness. I felt that I didn't have enough sleep no matter how much I slept (this is about the only symptom that now persists, though at a lesser severity), which led to being on bed for 10-12 hours. I do have nasal breathing issues since childhood due to enlarged adenoids, which perhaps have contributed to my issue.

Before mid July I had used the Philips Dreamstation for about a month, and before that I used the REMStar Auto that I had rented for about three weeks. After much experimentation, in late June I felt that a minimum pressure of 9 suits me best. I think that is also reflected in the graphs below; in the screenshot where my minimum pressure is 9, my flow limitation charts looks cleaner than in the other screenshots. 

After I received my Resmed Autoset in mid July, I made experiments about what minimum pressure to keep, since I had read that due to the stronger algorithm of Resmed, I could keep a lower minimum pressure. In hindsight I should probably have just set it at 9 too. 

Anyways, my CPAP experience has mostly been good. Until about last week, whenever I used the CPAP I felt that my sleep was about 60-70% better than without a CPAP. The only symptom bothering me was a persistent feeling of not having had enough sleep, even with good amount of sleep. There is this lingering sleepiness that remains. I was thinking that perhaps it could have something to do with flow limitations, or maybe that I am just not getting enough deep sleep. 

The good news is that since the past two nights I can feel the good sleep that I would have on the CPAP returning. Before this, for about 7-8 days, I was waking up feeling very tired like I would without a CPAP. I don't what the problem was. 

Anyways, what I am looking to improve now is the remaining about 30% improvement that I think I still need in my sleep. Though sleep is much better, I never have had a night yet where I felt that I had complete sleep. I always wake up with some amount of lingering sleepiness - it's a weird feeling because I can't actually sleep anymore. It just lingers throughout most of the day. 

Perhaps it would disappear gradually but I think it would be useful to see if I can improve anything in my sleep. 

The main problem that I see in my OSCAR flow rate graph right now: I see a number of arousals that last about 5-10 seconds. Sometimes there is a breath that looks an arousal and it is followed by an obstructive apnea or clear airway. Most of the time, however, it causes mini apneas of around 5 seconds. I don't know if this is significant though. I seem to have about five of these an hour, on average. I was thinking that they might be being caused by flow limitation that the machine isn't detecting, but now I am not so sure. When I have my minimum pressure at 9, my breaths don't look nearly as flow limited as they do when I have my minimum pressure at a lower pressure like 6. I still have the arousals though, and I wonder if they are being caused by flow limitation.

My current settings: Minimum Pressure: 9. Maximum Pressure: 11. EPR: 3. I have tried various pressures and I subjectively feel the best at this pressure. However, I have only been on it for a couple of days now on the Resmed (I used to be on this pressure for about a week on the Dreamstation too and felt better than at other pressures). I would like to continue on this pressure for some days to see how my sleep is like. Also, I previously had the response mode of the machine to soft but I have now changed it to standard.

Sorry for such a long post!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the breaths like the one in the picture below show anything abnormal? Or are they just irregular breaths that I shouldn't be concerned about? 

They happen sometimes in my sleep and end with a brief arousal (see second picture), after which the flow curves look more normal.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2021, 02:21 PM)gadgetmaniah Wrote: I wonder if the breaths like the one in the picture below show anything abnormal? Or are they just irregular breaths that I shouldn't be concerned about? 

They happen sometimes in my sleep and end with a brief arousal (see second picture), after which the flow curves look more normal.

You're going to want to follow this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization to organize your charts to better see the data. The first and easiest thing to do is hide the calendar. That way the statistics (median, 95%, max) will show for each measurement. That data is critical, along with the graphs noted in the link above, to get a better picture of the nights data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, here are a few screenshots of today's sleep. I think there is some flow limitation going on but not as much to be concerned about. The sleep was better today and the feeling of incomplete sleep was less. I can see that the machine increases the pressure in the periods of flow limitation.

Also, this is all the information I could fit into the screenshots since my laptop screen is quite small. I had to squeeze in the important graphs to be able to capture them all, so that's why they might look smaller than usual.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.