Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] why has AHI jumped so high?
[split] why has AHI jumped so high?
Hi guys, this is my first post Smile I've been using my cpap now for about a month and my AHI is normally below 5 varying a bit but last night it jumped to 39AHI (no central AHI) with a rate leak at 1... What could cause this big variation in your opinion?? I've been using a new mask for a week now, the Resmed Mirage Quattro and my stats steadily improved as the week went by except for last night. Thanks in advance for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] why has AHI jumped so high?
Welcome

Perhaps your apnea is positional. I require more pressure when I sleep on my back.
Sleeping on ones side can lead to a lower apnea score; especially when the machine is at fixed pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a pretty remarkable change, and as difficult as it is, you should avoid modifications to therapy based on one night's results. If events are all obstructive and hypopnea, it suggest a need for more pressure, but you are already at a pretty high fixed pressure. What is your EPR setting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The night that you had the high AHI, did you have a hard time getting to sleep after masking up and/or did you lie awake in bed after initially waking up in the morning? If either of these things are true your increase in AHI might be due to either or both. When you are awake Your breathing is much more irregular and you do a lot of things that would be considered sleep apnea events when you are asleep. This is normal to breathing during the day when you are awake and people generally do this without even realizing it. Your machine does not know when you are awake or asleep. It just starts recording events when it is started and quits when it is stopped. We call events that occur while one is not really asleep, sleep/wake junk and it is not a part of sleep apnea.

If you had the Sleepyhead software, which can be downloaded for free by following the link at the top of the page, you could upload an image of the graphs and knowledgeable people on the board  could be of more help. If you want to go that route, download and install Sleepyhead and ask for some help or look in the Wiki for some instructions on organizing your image optimally and uploading it. You must have a certain number of posts before the system will allow you to upload images.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 07:51 AM)justMongo Wrote: Welcome

Perhaps your apnea is positional.  I require more pressure when I sleep on my back.
Sleeping on ones side can lead to a lower apnea score; especially when the machine is at fixed pressure.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm usually a side sleeper but have woken up on my back last night. Will see tonight. Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 08:44 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: That is a pretty remarkable change, and as difficult as it is, you should avoid modifications to therapy based on one night's results.  If events are all obstructive and hypopnea, it suggest a need for more pressure, but you are already at a pretty high fixed pressure.  What is your EPR setting?

My EPR setting is a 3 - EPR inhale at medium. The actual pressure at the moment is 16.2

(03-08-2017, 05:53 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The night that you had the high AHI, did you have a hard time getting to sleep after masking up and/or did you lie awake in bed after initially waking up in the morning? If either of these things are true your increase in AHI might be due to either or both. When you are awake Your breathing is much more irregular and you do a lot of things that would be considered sleep apnea events when you are asleep. This is normal to breathing during the day when you are awake and people generally do this without even realizing it. Your machine does not know when you are awake or asleep. It just starts recording events when it is started and quits when it is stopped. We call events that occur while one is not really asleep, sleep/wake junk and it is not a part of sleep apnea.

If you had the Sleepyhead software, which can be downloaded for free by following the link at the top of the page, you could upload an image of the graphs and knowledgeable people on the board  could be of more help. If you want to go that route, download and install Sleepyhead and ask for some help or look in the Wiki for some instructions on organizing your image optimally and uploading it. You must have a certain number of posts before the system will allow you to upload images.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I did download the  Sleepyhead software 2 weeks ago. I will try to go see the events from last night tomorrow. It might tell me more. Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Athena,
You only need one more post and you will be able to post a #SleepyHead screenshot here.
Use the tutorials in my post to organize and post your graphs.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.