Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: Oracle
Humidifier: Respironics heated tube
CPAP Pressure: 6-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

spontaneous breaths definition
OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.
Spontaneous breaths have suddenly appeared in my sleep reports, specifically since I started taking Lexapro generic. I do not quite understand the definition of spontaneous breath...I want to say it is a naturally started breath, by me.

I still have OAs...CAs, less H. My AHI jumps all over the place...getting the leaks under control which helps.

Hoping that sudden appearance of spontaneous breaths is good. First appeared when I put the unit in S mode. Back in AVAP auto mode and they are still there. Could the Lexapro caused this or is it coincidence?

I am new to the S9 and so do not have past experience with it for comparison.
06-21-2015 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: spontaneous breaths definition
(06-21-2015 08:34 AM)Barbz Wrote:  OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.
Spontaneous breaths have suddenly appeared in my sleep reports, specifically since I started taking Lexapro generic. I do not quite understand the definition of spontaneous breath...I want to say it is a naturally started breath, by me.

I still have OAs...CAs, less H. My AHI jumps all over the place...getting the leaks under control which helps.

Hoping that sudden appearance of spontaneous breaths is good. First appeared when I put the unit in S mode. Back in AVAP auto mode and they are still there. Could the Lexapro caused this or is it coincidence?

You hit the nail on the head.

S mode actually stands for Spontaneous mode.
And VPAP auto is just S mode with variable pressure.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-21-2015 08:42 AM
Barbz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DS760 & S9 VPAP

Other Comments:

(06-21-2015 08:42 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(06-21-2015 08:34 AM)Barbz Wrote:  OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.

You hit the nail on the head.

S mode actually stands for Spontaneous mode.
And VPAP auto is just S mode with variable pressure.

Thanks...guess I did not have the unit set up quite right before! Learning!
06-21-2015 08:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

So, I am trying to guess what this post concluded - this is my guess:

"The machine does not give you % of spontaneous breaths when in S mode or VPAP auto.... because.... the only breaths that occur are those you initiate [i.e. 100%]."

What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
06-21-2015 06:01 PM
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(06-21-2015 06:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

In S mode and VAuto mode: From reading the setup manual (Clinician Guide) I think transitions into IPAP are 100% patient triggered, but transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled. ResMed has a Ti Max setting (Maximum IPAP time), and if the patient does not start exhaling within the Ti Max time limit then the machine will transition back to EPAP anyway.

In ST mode: transitions into IPAP may be patient triggered or machine triggered, and transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled.

In T mode: all transitions into IPAP and back to EPAP are machine triggered at a manually-adjusted rate.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 12:09 AM by vsheline.)
06-21-2015 11:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Barbz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DS760 & S9 VPAP

Other Comments:

(06-21-2015 06:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

In S mode and VAuto mode: From reading the setup manual (Clinician Guide) I think transitions into IPAP are 100% patient triggered, but transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled. ResMed has a Ti Max setting (Maximum IPAP time), and if the patient does not start exhaling within the Ti Max time limit then the machine will transition back to EPAP anyway.

In ST mode: transitions into IPAP may be patient triggered or machine triggered, and transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled.

In T mode: all transitions into IPAP and back to EPAP are machine triggered at a manually-adjusted rate.
[/quote]

It was what I saw in the review report that prompted my reaction. I am thinking that I just needed to get used to breathing with the BIPAP. I had barely any spontaneous breaths to having plenty.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 09:54 AM by Barbz.)
06-22-2015 09:47 AM
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(06-22-2015 09:47 AM)Barbz Wrote:  It was what I saw in the review report that prompted my reaction. I am thinking that I just needed to get used to breathing with the BIPAP. I had barely any spontaneous breaths to having plenty.

Maybe your inhalation time is a little longer than the machine is set to allow for.

Maybe increasing the setting for Ti Max to 2.5 second (instead of default value of 2.0 second) will allow you to finish inhaling before the machine cycles back to EPAP on its own.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 04:13 PM by vsheline.)
06-22-2015 04:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question [Equipment] Definition of ventilator PoolQ 18 737 04-17-2016 01:49 AM
Last Post: PoolQ
  [ASV] Timed breaths and Patient Triggered Breaths tmoody 23 1,570 04-15-2016 08:50 PM
Last Post: tmoody
  Definition of "awakenings and arousals" shewhorn 3 527 02-20-2016 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dawei
  253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night? rockncountry101 20 2,969 08-05-2015 08:34 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Impact of "% spontaneous cycled breaths" PaytonA 5 2,211 08-07-2014 12:50 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Need some definition help Zorki1c 3 1,376 06-07-2013 03:31 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  Clear Airway definition spiral_15 18 33,144 03-23-2012 07:46 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper