Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

spontaneous breaths definition
spontaneous breaths definition
OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.
Spontaneous breaths have suddenly appeared in my sleep reports, specifically since I started taking Lexapro generic. I do not quite understand the definition of spontaneous breath...I want to say it is a naturally started breath, by me.

I still have OAs...CAs, less H. My AHI jumps all over the place...getting the leaks under control which helps.

Hoping that sudden appearance of spontaneous breaths is good. First appeared when I put the unit in S mode. Back in AVAP auto mode and they are still there. Could the Lexapro caused this or is it coincidence?

I am new to the S9 and so do not have past experience with it for comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: spontaneous breaths definition
(06-21-2015, 08:34 AM)Barbz Wrote: OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.
Spontaneous breaths have suddenly appeared in my sleep reports, specifically since I started taking Lexapro generic. I do not quite understand the definition of spontaneous breath...I want to say it is a naturally started breath, by me.

I still have OAs...CAs, less H. My AHI jumps all over the place...getting the leaks under control which helps.

Hoping that sudden appearance of spontaneous breaths is good. First appeared when I put the unit in S mode. Back in AVAP auto mode and they are still there. Could the Lexapro caused this or is it coincidence?

You hit the nail on the head.

S mode actually stands for Spontaneous mode.
And VPAP auto is just S mode with variable pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 08:42 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 08:34 AM)Barbz Wrote: OK...googled and all that...looked through the glossary in several areas.

You hit the nail on the head.

S mode actually stands for Spontaneous mode.
And VPAP auto is just S mode with variable pressure.

Thanks...guess I did not have the unit set up quite right before! Learning!
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I am trying to guess what this post concluded - this is my guess:

"The machine does not give you % of spontaneous breaths when in S mode or VPAP auto.... because.... the only breaths that occur are those you initiate [i.e. 100%]."

What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 06:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

In S mode and VAuto mode: From reading the setup manual (Clinician Guide) I think transitions into IPAP are 100% patient triggered, but transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled. ResMed has a Ti Max setting (Maximum IPAP time), and if the patient does not start exhaling within the Ti Max time limit then the machine will transition back to EPAP anyway.

In ST mode: transitions into IPAP may be patient triggered or machine triggered, and transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled.

In T mode: all transitions into IPAP and back to EPAP are machine triggered at a manually-adjusted rate.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 06:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: What mode(s) do you have to select to get % of spontaneous breaths? What mode(s) have the machine trigger the breaths?

In S mode and VAuto mode: From reading the setup manual (Clinician Guide) I think transitions into IPAP are 100% patient triggered, but transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled. ResMed has a Ti Max setting (Maximum IPAP time), and if the patient does not start exhaling within the Ti Max time limit then the machine will transition back to EPAP anyway.

In ST mode: transitions into IPAP may be patient triggered or machine triggered, and transitions back to EPAP may be patient cycled or machine cycled.

In T mode: all transitions into IPAP and back to EPAP are machine triggered at a manually-adjusted rate.
[/quote]

It was what I saw in the review report that prompted my reaction. I am thinking that I just needed to get used to breathing with the BIPAP. I had barely any spontaneous breaths to having plenty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2015, 09:47 AM)Barbz Wrote: It was what I saw in the review report that prompted my reaction. I am thinking that I just needed to get used to breathing with the BIPAP. I had barely any spontaneous breaths to having plenty.

Maybe your inhalation time is a little longer than the machine is set to allow for.

Maybe increasing the setting for Ti Max to 2.5 second (instead of default value of 2.0 second) will allow you to finish inhaling before the machine cycles back to EPAP on its own.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 856 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 293 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,335 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,683 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  New issue "missing breaths" on ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV schleepyhead 4 773 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: schleepyhead

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.