Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

strap odor
strap odor
I have an AirFit F-20 mask and straps and the straps have developed an "off" or "stale" odor, I wash it but I can't put it in sunlight, any suggestions for dealing the the "off" odor in the straps?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: strap odor
I’ve never heard of that. Is this a new mask? If so, it’s just a “new mask” smell.
What kind of environment do you live? Has your mask been exposed to smoke?

Either way, wash the straps in warm soapy water. Let soak for a while if need be. Rinse well and hang to dry.

If you’ve had your mask for awhile, consider getting a backup, or at least replace the straps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash it in hot water and use Dawn dish soap. Let it soak for a good while, then swish it about by hand, and then rinse with hot water. Squeeze the excess water out of the straps and that will aid the speed of drying substantially.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is about a month old, yes, it is a stale, moldy type smell, I can't afford a new strap now, so hopefully I will get a solution here, thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2019, 11:28 AM)physed Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is about a month old, yes, it is a stale, moldy type smell, I can't afford a new strap now, so hopefully I will get a solution here, thanks again.

Have you tried returning the mask? Don't know of another option other than washing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your help on this, no they won't take it back, thanks again for all your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try putting some vinegar or baking soda (if you use a little of both it fizzes up) and let it soak in the soapy water, then rinse. Vinegar could leave a smell. If you have a place to hand it out in the air, not sun, it might help. I don't have this problem but that is how I attack anything with a lingering smell. I roll my mask in a towel to squeeze out the water so it dried more quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I think you nailed it, I was looking on line as to how to remove odors and the vinegar and baking soda came up, I was afraid to use vinegar based on what the manufacturer says about bleach, etc, but I will try to rise it in baking soda and water, I also think your idea to dry it faster is part of the issue, thanks so much for taking the time to write that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moisture and fuel lead to bacterial and fungal growth, little if any of it visible.  If there's enough flora in a small space (straps on headgear are relatively small spaces), you can expect odors to be detected near your nose.

There are many ways to beat this problem, none of which are expensive or take more than about five minutes.

Others have urged you to wash your gear in hot water.  That's not strictly necessary, but it does help to soften both stearates (found in some soaps) and waxy solids that sebaceous materials turn into over time if left in place.  We perspire and produce acids and other compounds that get absorbed in the materials lining the straps.  They get stale and then decay.  Warm water and soap gets rid of the worst of it.

Often, though, the problem persists.  If we let things drip-dry in relatively humid conditions, remaining contaminants will still continue their paths toward full decay, and the odors will persist...or get worse.  So, when I do my headgear, I wash and scrub the material lining with my fingers assiduously.  I then rinse repeatedly also assiduously working the clean water into the material.  Finally, I place a clean towel inside the frame of the headgear, as it wants to sit naturally, and press firmly once again to get all the water out, or as much as is humanly possible.  From there, drape the device over a dining chair back, over a lamp shade, outdoors in the shade, say over a deck chair, and I forget about it for at least five hours.  It's dry by then.

Dish rags smell for the same reason, BTW.  Food and moisture.

To kill bacteria and molds, I always have a small bag of potassium or sodium metabisulphite, easily acquired from U-Brew-It places that sell wine and beer making stuff. I believe I spent CDN$4.00 three months ago for enough powder to last me three or four years.  Seriously.  Mix one heaping tsp in 1 liter of water and run about a cup of it through your hose once or twice a month, back and forth for a couple of minutes.  Soak the headgear in a shallow pan or bowl the same way.  Rinse thoroughly, and use the clean towel to dry it as much as possible. No bacteria or molds, no odor.  Anything else is scents from soaps, shampoo, or the plastic softeners.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow now that is what I call a good reply, thanks so much that was great, I now understand the issue and will implement the fix, thanks again so much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 428 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,289 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,808 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 384 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Chin Strap for Full Face Mask? newtothis1 5 730 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: newtothis1
  Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows? Columbiabill 2 601 12-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.