Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suddenly I am seeing CSR on new ResMed 10
suddenly I am seeing CSR on new ResMed 10

Did I post the Oscar data correctly?

I had been using a Philips Respironics for about 3 years and decided to switch to ResMed 10 because of the recall.
The first 2 weeks with the Resmed were excellant. I like it better the Philips CPAP.
I was seeing AHI around 3.

But, the past few days have been showing in Oscar several long intervals of Cheyne Stokes Respiration. 30 - 50 minutes segments.
What does this mean? Are my settings wrong in the ResMed 10? Should I be changing the settings?
Should I be worried?

The Oscar screens I posted were from last night. Curiously, this was the first time in years that I had more than 8 hours sleep.
But the AHI was 10.8 and there were 4 long CSR segments.

Note: in spite of using a CPAP for several years, I always wake up 3 or 4 times every night.  Some of the wake ups seem to be triggered by a need to urinate.
I am 79 years old.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: suddenly I am seeing CSR on new ResMed 10
You may wish to discuss your test results with your physician, preferably a cardiologist who may order an echocardiogram to rule our underlying conditions associated with Cheyne Stokes Respiration. Do you exhibit any swelling in your extremities which may be indicative of excess fluid trapped in your body's tissues? Rather than guess at what might be happening, it is worth the peace of mind to consult a competent medical professional.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I did see my cardiologist last week and did a stress EKG plus an echo exam of heart.
He said everything looked OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed machines report Periodic Breathing as CSR, but true CSR id fairly rare. If you zoom in to a five or ten minute segment around 9:15, we should get a better idea if this is Periodic Breathing or true Cheyne Stokes Respiration.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2021, 11:37 PM)RichardW Wrote: I did see my cardiologist last week and did a stress EKG plus an echo exam of heart.
He said everything looked OK.

Great news. Perhaps someone will have an alternative explanation.
Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

pholynyk.
Is this what you were asking for when you said to zoom around 9:15?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change your settings?
For now turn off EPR.
Did you change meds or are you taking pain killers? Or any CNS meds, strokes, seizures, brain injury?
As we try to eliminate common causes
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon,
The only setting I had changed was pressure 7 - 10.
I will turn off EPR for tonight and try to post results tomorrow.
No painkillers. No recent changes in medication. I take a blood thinner, warfarin, because I had a blood clot & pulminory embolism 5 years ago. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Close enough,. This is most likely CO2 driven and Treatment Emergent Central Apnea. Why? Most likely because you recently switched to ResMed from a PR recalled machine. ResMed machines with EPR tend to be more effective at moving air and in your case flushing CO2 out to below your apneic threshold resulting in a central apnea.,.
Post Reply Post Reply

Gideon,
Here is last night's Oscar after I turned off EPR.
Better. But still some Cheyne Stokes Respiration around 9 AM. Shorter duration.
2nd shot is today zoomed in around 9 AM CSR.
3rd shot is Oct 31 for comparison. No CSR. AHI = 1.56.

I started using Resmed 10 Oct 22. Had AHI = .95
First CSR was on Nov 10. Before that Resmed did not report any CSR.

Do you have any suggestions about settings changes I should make?

FYI: In spite of CPAP, I wake up 3 - 4 times every night. Always wake up 1 hour after first going to sleep. I think I wake up once or twice because I have to urinate. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,800 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 289 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 521 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AHI Suddenly Getting Worse bwor80 1 423 10-23-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Suddenly can't use CPAP after years of effortless use Gugliano 13 1,176 06-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] AHI suddenly rising and feeling tired calferreira 1 397 06-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: calferreira
  Suddenly getting large leaks Zach21 4 590 03-04-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Zach21

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.