Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suffocation?
suffocation?
Newbie here since July 2013. Last night I discovered a possible problem. My full face mask was leaking and after a few attempts at adjusting the straps I decided to just apply light pressure to seal the mask and get back.to sleep. I was on my right side with my arm underneath my head so I just put my hand on the top of the mask and gently pressed. The leak stopped and I fell into a deep sleep. Soon I was disturbed by my increased resp rate and a strange odor. I finally shook myself and was wide awake wondering what was happening. My mask was not leaking, however, and here is the dangerous part, my forearm was totally covering the vent! I was rebreathing my own air and the CO2 was building up. I was suffocating! The smell was my own stale breath mixed with a high concentration of CO2!

Perhaps this has been discussed before but a search for "suffocating" didn't find the topic. Please spread the word to fellow users. If I had been drinking or otherwise not aware of what was happening I might not be here typing this!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: suffocation?
That's one of the reasons there's an anti-asphyxiation valve on a full face mask.

Sounds like you had a rude awakening. Talk about a nightmare! Bag-head
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi haroldeveryman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike other masks, the full face masks run the highest risks for asphyxiation. As Sleepster pointed out, that's why they have a valve to assist with this.

Sorry you had to experience it but glad you woke up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2013, 02:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unlike other masks, the full face masks run the highest risks for asphyxiation. As Sleepster pointed out, that's why they have a valve to assist with this.

Sorry you had to experience it but glad you woke up.

Geez, nobody told me that this was or could be an issue with a full face mask!! I think I would rather use a chin strap than risk this!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used a full-face mask (for sleeping); could you jury-rig another hose to exhalation valve to route the used air away from you?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the issue is that it's easier to stop up the exhalation ports on full face masks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a full face mask. I have been on one for over 7 years now and have never had that problem but then we are all different.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help understand what caused suffocation feeling AlamedaBeachBum 6 1,209 01-09-2022, 10:29 PM
Last Post: AlamedaBeachBum
  Dreamwear Cushion - Suffocation Feeling Dedwin0927 6 1,330 06-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Dedwin0927
  Woken by feeling of Suffocation subyroo 8 1,396 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away? linn 13 4,016 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: linn
  suffocation in the night santhosh443 15 7,036 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Last Post: robysue
Surprised Fear of Suffocation Cleome 23 13,285 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  suffocation And CPAP and bilevel devices britincanada 11 12,327 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: renatae

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.