Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suggestions for RUGGED recording pulse oximeter
suggestions for RUGGED recording pulse oximeter
In about a month I have some major landscaping to do, MY LAST HURRAH ! I'll do it before my body gets worse. It involves all hand work, digging, wheel barrowing fill out, wheelbarrowing gravel in and setting 6 x 6 timbers.

My problem is my lungs. I have copd, emphysema and asthma. I can work at a steady pace but once I go over that, I get extremely short of breath, coughing and gagging. Every time I go to my pulmonologist my O2 is good.

I am looking for a rugged wrist pulse oximeter that can record while I am working so that I can show my doctor. I have a finger oximeter but it won't record if I am moving too much. I also have exercised induced high blood pressure and if that could be recorded it would be a bonus.

I would like something not grossly expensive

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: suggestions for RUGGED recording pulse oximeter
If you are financially able to delegate this chore, please do. Landscape labor is relatively inexpensive and available. It might cost less than the fitness watch. The Apple Watch 6 is excellent, provides, pulse, SpO2 and EKG but will cost $400. Garmin costs half as much and does a good tracking of activity and pulse rate, but no oxygen or EKG. A true pulse oximeter is not amenable to wearing during that kind of work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a broad range of Garmin devices, some cheaper and some more expensive than the Apple watch. Many of these devices have SpO2 measurement, particlarly most recent models. Same for Fitbit and other brands.

Reading the Apple watch docs it will only do background measurement when you are not moving, and to take a regular spot measurement you should remain still with wrist flat and watch facing up. Similarly Garmin reduces the frequency of SpO2 measurement when you are active. I think that the reflective SpO2 measurements are much more sensitive/challenged by movement compared to transmission style finger sensors, which aren't designed for when you're moving about either.

I experimented with my Wellue SleepU sensor taped to my little finger on my non-dominant hand - it slides down the finger rather than being a cap over the finger tip, so it's fairly non-intrusive, and I can wear it under garden/rigging gloves. It periodically stops reporting SpO2 and pulse when I'm moving around and doing stuff in the garden, although it will continuously try to get a steady signal so if you pause for 30s or so it will probably get back in sync.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it looks like there is not a good product that works while you are actively moving, which is good to know.  I will use what I have and I'll just have to stop to take a reading.

Sleeprider, I will look into getting some laborer's for the grunt work. Your suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks for the replies, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t do a lot of labor but I do wear a o2 monitor at night and once a month during the day. The cms 50f is around 100$ and records for 10+ hours (as long as I have used it). It has worked for me. Gives O2 and pluse rate only.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm basing this post on being the owner of 2 CMS-50s (both an E and I model) and a Wellue SleepU.  While not designed for exercise, the Wellue SleepU would seem to be one of the better choices.  The SleepU's electronics are attached to the wrist, reducing the heavy shock that the O2Ring version would endure.   The sensing probe attaches to the base of a digit and not on the end of a digit like the CMS-50 series.   The sensing probe's design also allows for a more positive connection than the fingertip sensor.  The Wellue models limit a maximum session time to 10-hours, but will start a new recording session if you run over this time limit.  For my experience with the Wellue,  it will basically hibernate during extreme motion, but will come back online when it senses its normalcy.

If you decide to purchase a Wellue, search the internet for discount coupons.  There is usually one or two that are active.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,211 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 159 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 247 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.