Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suggestions for improved settings?
RE: suggestions for improved settings?
(04-03-2018, 06:49 AM)odoyle Wrote: Hi guys,

I've messed around with this for a bit and I seem to have gotten things quite improved.  I turned off flex and set it at 8.5-11.  Any ideas why it has these weird spikes in pressure?  Is it related to what appears to be some leaks?  I'm trying to resolve those with a chinstrap but not sure if that is what is going on.

Hi odoyle,
Your numbers look good.  As far as the “weird” spikes in pressure......well they are NOT spikes in pressure at all.  This is part of the Phillips Respironics Algorithm.  

The algorithm with raise pressure approx. 1.5 cm every so often to see if there is a better pressure or a reason to raise pressure.  

This looks like a “saw tooth” pattern on your graph.  If you look closely, you can see that it does it’s test by raising the pressure 1.5 cm.  This is normal and it’s not something you can feel or notice.  

Other reasons besides the “normal” saw tooth pattern for the machine to raise pressure are Snores, Flow Limitations and RERA’s.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 06:49 AM)odoyle Wrote: Any ideas why it has these weird spikes in pressure? 

In the ResMed S9 I have the theory that the pressure that is displayed is not actually the pressure you are getting. I believe it is the pressure "demand" to the control system of the machine. It can change essentially instantly, but the pressure does not follow instantly. And, the actual pressure is displayed as the Mask pressure. If you drag the Mask pressure graph up beside the Pressure graph, and then click on an Event to expand the graph time scale, you may be able to see if the actual mask pressure is responding as fast as the pressure demand. The other thing that is interesting about the Mask pressure in the expanded time scale is that you can see at what part in the pressure cycle of EPR or Flex that the breathing stops.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really snore at all..nothing on that graph

[attachment=5193]

I don't see a "mask pressure" graph in the app..?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 04:39 PM)odoyle Wrote: I don't really snore at all..nothing on that graph
I don't see a "mask pressure" graph in the app..?

Yes, zero for snore. The pressure you have is obviously working to prevent snore. Perhaps DreamStation does not record mask pressure like ResMed does. I thought I had seen it in posts by others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if what you would be interested in is the "leak rate" graph - the inverse of the pressure I think?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 04:56 PM)odoyle Wrote: I wonder if what you would be interested in is the "leak rate" graph - the inverse of the pressure I think?

I was thinking of mask pressure, but perhaps Dreamstation does not report it like ResMed does.
Post Reply Post Reply
No there is no mask pressure on DreamStations.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,919 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 244 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 303 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.