Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suggestions for improved settings?
suggestions for improved settings?
First, thanks for all the help from people on this forum!  I have learned a ton and gotten pretty far along.  I've been trying a machine for the past couple days and wanted to share my results and see if all of you smart people had suggestions to improve?  When I had my sleep study, my AHI was 27, so it is down from that, but I still don't feel well rested, I keep waking up.  The prescription from the doc was just "9" - no min or max, so I just guessed on that (7-12).  The flex setting is "aflex", 2.  I was reading about this and I still don't quite understand it, but I tried flex 1 and couldn't deal with - it felt like I was fighting to breathe.  

Suggestions and tweaks to improve my treatment? Thx!

[attachment=4328]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: suggestions for improved settings?
I would bump your minimum pressure up to 8cm and see if that makes breathing easier and to see if it knocks out some of those hypopneas.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Walla Walla with raising minimum pressure.
Since you have tried flex at 1, it might be better to turn it off. Flex does tend to make you feel like your breath is either cut short or rushed. Turn it off and see if that helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI under 5 is considered treated but if your not feeling well, I can certainly appreciate the need to get a better result.  I wold agree with increasing the pressure but also remember to give it time.  Try it for several days before making big changes, and just starting CPAP your body will need to adjust to the extra air being blown and washing out carbon dioxide.  If too much C02 is washed out, your body will compensate by breathing less.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a little more low pressure, maybe 8.5 or there about to clear most of them, 9 should clear almost all, however, if you have the machine set to 12 it should get what is left.
Try it without the Flex setting, if you need it you need it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting theory, Hojo.  I'm curious, is slower breathing an issue? I guess it is hard to tell without SPO2 levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm onboard with Walla's 8-cm pressure recommendation. Try not to be lured into making too many changes at one time or you will never figure out what worked. Just change the minimum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

I've messed around with this for a bit and I seem to have gotten things quite improved.  I turned off flex and set it at 8.5-11.  Any ideas why it has these weird spikes in pressure?  Is it related to what appears to be some leaks?  I'm trying to resolve those with a chinstrap but not sure if that is what is going on.

[attachment=5189]
Post Reply Post Reply
You can ignore those spikes in pressure, the Philips is doing a pulse of hihigher pressure to see if you could be treated better at a higher pressure, it decides you can’t so leaves the pressure where it was
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 06:49 AM)odoyle Wrote: Hi guys,

I've messed around with this for a bit and I seem to have gotten things quite improved.  I turned off flex and set it at 8.5-11.  Any ideas why it has these weird spikes in pressure?  Is it related to what appears to be some leaks?  I'm trying to resolve those with a chinstrap but not sure if that is what is going on.

Try moving the Snore graph up on the SleepyHead display to see if there is any correlation to the pressure spikes. Just left click and drag on the title part. Posting another graph showing snore would be helpful. I don't know why DreamStation is responding in such a aggressive spiky manner. It could be that you have the minimum pressure set a little high. And if you were to set the max pressure a little lower you may be able to stop it some, if it is an comfort issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 830 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.