Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suggestions to lower ahi
RE: suggestions to lower ahi
Good luck and keep working at it. When you're ready with your new mask, post an OSCAR and see how things are progressing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP has a pressure relief feature, turn it on. It should help with the hypopnea and flow limits that are probably there. Something looks suspicious about this data due to the very uniform timing of events. I would need to see closer views of flow rate which is not part of this data stream. If you can switch to a Resmed Autoset, you would be a lot better off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=32204] original mask

To update my thread and ask for further comments especially on the events shown in my 3rd graph (bottom right) would be helpful.

I've first tried using a small pillow underneath my chin with my current mask (as I've experienced my jaw dropping out of the mask) , my ahi improved somewhat, still got leaks although they were fewer. I've ordered a soft cervical collar to try (not arriving for a few days). 

My order of a ResMed F10 Air Touch arrived and I tried it last night. It was very comfortable. Although my ahi was better and the leaks improved according to Oscar, something strange happened and I believe these lower numbers aren't the real story. I woke up several times and felt I was gasping for air and heard no machine sound like a blackout. However, there was no blackouts last night.  I tugged on the bottom of my mask which had collapsed against my chin and the machine resumed. When I looked at the graphs from Oscar, it shows periods where there was no apap, the machine was not working. (The only time I've seen this was when I shut the machine off if I can't get back to sleep.) I did not shut the machine off at all deliberately last night and I'd have to reach to the bottom shelf of my night table to turn it off. Each of these periods where the machine stopped are preceded by an apnea event. It seems to me that the apnea events lasted so long, the machine decided my mask was off and it shut down. This is not good as my untreated apnea was 87. 

Is it possible for positional apnea to do this? I've a long term cpap user (13 years) and this has never happened to me before with any mask. I feel terrible this morning and my husband complained my mask was noisy so I don't think the low ahi reflects what was really happening (long apneas so long the machine thought I'd taken my mask off.) 

I can send it back to try another mask (because of Covid, they don't process it for 5 days so I'd return to my old mask temporarily until another new mask arrives). Probably I'd try the Fisher & Paykel Vitere next since it supposed to good for restless sleepers with leaks. I don't want to try this mask again as it was an awful experience and I think I should write this mask of as a total failure. 

Any comments, assistance on the weirdness of the third graph would be helpful. 

Here's my three graphs. The first at the top of the thread is my original mask Fisher & Paykel FlexiFit 432, the second is my original mask with a small firm pillow underneath my chin, the third is with the ResMed f20 Air Touch and these periods where the machine stopped responding.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Airsense 10, Vitera face mask, Foam Cervical Collar, Silent Nights mask liners 
Canadian, diagnosed OSA in 2008 with 87 AHI pressure 16-20
Post Reply Post Reply
The OSCAR report shows that your leak rates are significantly greater with the Airtouch F20 mask than before. The leaks are why your mask was noisy. Could the leaks have been large enough that your machine thought the mask was disconnected and automatically turned off? I don't know what threshold DeVilbiss has for shutting off.

Mask fit is very individual. I've read good reports about the Vitera though have not tried it myself. I use the Airfit F30 and have been happy with it.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2021, 09:52 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: The OSCAR report shows that your leak rates are significantly greater with the Airtouch F20 mask than before. The leaks are why your mask was noisy. Could the leaks have been large enough that your machine thought the mask was disconnected and automatically turned off? I don't know what threshold DeVilbiss has for shutting off.

Mask fit is very individual. I've read good reports about the Vitera though have not tried it myself. I use the Airfit F30 and have been happy with it.

I dug out the manual and checked to see if I could find the threshold for shutting off. According to it, the threshold for turning off the machine is 30 seconds or more. This means with this mask, I got 6  apneas longer than 30 seconds and the machine shut off. 

It appears that this mask is not for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've talked to the mask vendor re: the return process for mailing it back. I explained the reasons and they were fine with it. (I'll post a review for it in the mask review forum.)

I sending it back today and exchanging it for a Fisher & Paykel Vitera. As a result of Covid, they set it aside for 5 days before opening it & processing my return. So I'm back to my original mask until the Vitera arrives. I hope it works better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:
Last night was my first night with a new machine, a Resmed Auto Sense Autoset 10 For Her I'm still awaiting a new mask (exchanged the f20) but because of the pandemic, it will take a while for my Fisher & Paykel Vitere to arrive in the exchange. I've also ordered a cervical collar as I suspect I have positional apnea (arriving in a few days).

(For background, I've been using an old apap Intellipap for 12 yrs, I was diagnosed at 87, 12 years ago.) Recently I suspected a lot of mask leaks. 

I set the pressure at 14 to 20 (my previous setting was 15-20), epr 3 and using the "For Her" algorithm.

This morning I feel quite good. However, my number is absolutely terrible.

Any suggestions - should I change the epr? the algorithm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Purr3k,
I'm hoping you can find a mask that works for you. Your high leak rate definitely affects therapy.
It's also hard to advise on settings with the positional apnea.

The one thing I notice is that you are using the "For Her" mode. I think in time, when you get the mask and positional apnea worked out, is to switch to the "Standard mode".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE:

I made the following changes last night:. 
- I switched to regular autoset mode (heard it's better at high pressures) & used a cervical collar for the first time (it arrived in the mail).

Huge difference - from over 16 to under 2 (see attached). I must have a lot of positional apnea. I've been told by several anesthesiologists that I have a very small throat so I don't know if that is the reason why it has such a big effect on my results.) 

According to my husband, I moved less in my sleep last night as well (I woke up on the same side, I went to sleep on). The only issue is one of our cats woke me early. (I'll have a nap later on with my mask and collar.)

Post Reply Post Reply
That is quite a difference. We can see where you had some chin-tucking that increase airway resistance, flow limitation, RERA etc, but at least the machine is responding appropriately and you're getting better therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,919 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 244 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 303 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,475 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.