Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

supplemental oxygen
supplemental oxygen
Medicare will cover supplemental oxygen if your O2 saturation is below 88 for over five minutes during a sleep study over two hours. I wear an oximeter and have an AHI that averages below 5 with and average clear apnea index of .4 and an obstructive apnea index of .2 and HI of from 4 to 8. I get sub 88 readings of 6 to 11 minutes two or three times a week. My basal O2 sat is never above 92. I would like to get supplemental oxygen but I could have to do several sleep studies before I get medicare qualified. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: supplemental oxygen
Respironics EverFlo Q (Q stands for Oxygen quality sensor)
Post Reply Post Reply
This would be a question to ask your doctor. I think you could use an in-home test over several nights to qualify. There is no reason to do an clinical sleep study to get SpO2 data. I'm sure you can discuss this and show your results to your doctor. If he shares your concerns, then things can happen that are pretty easy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I've just moved so I'm seeing a new MD next wk.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started CPAP on 2001 with supplemental O2. Around 2012 my O2 was yanked either by medicare or by my supplemental insurance. After about a year it became apparent that my memory was being influenced. I didn't have a sleep doc back then but my PCP ordered a home sleep test* and got the O2 restored. Also, at that time I did not know about this forum. Now, with a very cooperative sleep doc and the resources of this forum I am confident that any future effort to remove my O2 will not succeed. 

If all else fails a home O2 concentrator would not be terribly expensive. A good used one may be one solution. 

Hoping you can find a solution.

Stan

* I think the home sleep test set me back about half what I could have found a concentrator for.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2018, 01:28 PM)stanleydean Wrote: If all else fails a home O2 concentrator would not be terribly expensive. A good used one may be one solution. 

I would recommend otherwise. A used one may not perform the compressors inside have a lifetime after which they dont work well or at all. Replacing a compressor is like buying a new machine. Everflo is $500 and lasts about 5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW Supplier #2 sells Oxygen Concentrators, 2 "sizes" are the portable and the uh not so portable.

Both are listed as New Factory Seal Box.

Respironics Simply Go Mini is portable, goes for about $2200

The bigger stay-at-home unit is Invacare Perfecto 2 V (5L) $615.

Both include basic accessories to get you started. It looks like the portable includes a car cord too.

Of course, I ditto check with your Doc first, but if you need one, there's some starter info.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 612 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 341 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 502 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 395 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 526 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.