Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

swallowing air/bloating
swallowing air/bloating
I've been using a CPAP for about a month. Everything so far has been going great - until last night.

I woke up at about 1am with a lot of stomach pain, and didn't really fall back asleep until 3 or 4am. It turns out it was gas and bloating from the CPAP, although I was considering going to the ER before I realized that (and might have, but the pain was general and not localized, and I've already had my appendix out).

After some burping and walking around I was eventually able to get back to sleep.

I got some gas-x today that I'm going to try tonight, but I'm a little worried about going to bed tonight. I know I'll feel better and more awake tomorrow if I use the CPAP, but I'd also rather not wake up in pain again.

Is there anything else I can try? Has anyone else had sudden bloating? I didn't have a problem up until last night - in fact, I thought it was remarkably easy to adjust to using a CPAP.

Quick edit: I have EPR turned on and set to 2. I'm also going to try increasing it to 3 tonight.

Also, looking at the data from last night in sleepyhead shows nothing out of the ordinary. My pressure went up to 9 a couple times, which it's done lots of times without issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: swallowing air/bloating
(03-17-2015, 06:46 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: I've been using a CPAP for about a month. Everything so far has been going great - until last night.

I woke up at about 1am with a lot of stomach pain, and didn't really fall back asleep until 3 or 4am. It turns out it was gas and bloating from the CPAP, although I was considering going to the ER before I realized that (and might have, but the pain was general and not localized, and I've already had my appendix out).

After some burping and walking around I was eventually able to get back to sleep.

I got some gas-x today that I'm going to try tonight, but I'm a little worried about going to bed tonight. I know I'll feel better and more awake tomorrow if I use the CPAP, but I'd also rather not wake up in pain again.

Is there anything else I can try? Has anyone else had sudden bloating? I didn't have a problem up until last night - in fact, I thought it was remarkably easy to adjust to using a CPAP.

Quick edit: I have EPR turned on and set to 2. I'm also going to try increasing it to 3 tonight.

Also, looking at the data from last night in sleepyhead shows nothing out of the ordinary. My pressure went up to 9 a couple times, which it's done lots of times without issue.

Well I hope the EPR of 3 will help you!
That is an Exhale thing that will give you the least back pressures .
Hope that helps you!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chrysogognus,
You could try staying off your back if you're not already doing that , as it helps generally to keep pressures lower. I found that to be really helpful. The other thing is that air swallowing can be accumulative , so trying to release it on a daily basis can be beneficial , not to mention efficient digestion...
Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
chrysogognus,
Sometimes it is helpful if you can elevate your head a bit, and make sure you are not mouth breathing, you can swallow a lot of air that way.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chrysogognus,
I know this has been a frightening experience but don't give up on your CPAP therapy. You just might have had one of those nights from hell that hopefully will never happen again.
If your aerophagia, (swallowing air,) persists, you might first raise your head with extra pillows and if that doesn't work, raise the head of your bed a bit.
Hang in there for more suggestions and here's hoping tonight is better for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help everyone.

I took some gas-x last night, turned the EPR up to 3, and slept with my head elevated (which made it a little harder to sleep). I still feel a bit bloated, but it didn't get worse overnight. Hopefully this will be rare, as it was rather unpleasant.

I realize changing multiple things at once probably wasn't the best idea, so I'll plan on undoing these changes gradually - I wanted to make sure I did everything that could help in case it made a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
While it sounds counterintuitive (maybe its just that way to me), I take a drink of plain soda water first thing in the morning, before my coffee. I read it on here some time back, thinking it odd, but have to admit it helped. Seems to help get the burps rolling to get it out in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2015, 07:33 PM)But its me! Wrote: While it sounds counterintuitive (maybe its just that way to me), I take a drink of plain soda water first thing in the morning, before my coffee. I read it on here some time back, thinking it odd, but have to admit it helped. Seems to help get the burps rolling to get it out in the morning.
Hi But it's me!,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good that you found something that works for you to get the berping going.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 525 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 757 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
Surprised Taking in air /bloating akstella 11 1,123 11-30-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Ti Max Setting/Cycle and Bloating? emjbork 3 617 10-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: FrankFuss
  [Diagnosis] Help interpreting OSCAR for bloating contracostacpap 1 517 06-01-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: contracostacpap

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.