Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking...
swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking...
I sometimes reposition my nasal mask because it's making a gushing sort of sound--but when I check with my fingers I don't feel any air leaking out. However, the sound goes away after repositioning--only to return in a few minutes when I move to my side, etc.

The report on the machine never indicates any leaks either--I'm always a bit flummoxed by the Encore leak graph...

anyone also have this issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking...
Sounds like the head gear or nasal pillows are slightly shifting when you turn over. Also if the exhaust is directed toward the sheets or covers it will sound like a leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, shame on me for not searching first, as I just started a new thread with identical problem! Trying to analyze this one as well. Have you noticed that the hose has a bunch of little vent holes on the front side? I don't think this is where the noise is coming from though, I think it's coming between the hose and the mask. I'm going to make an effort to pin down the problem. If someone else has already found a remedy, I'd love to hear it. If not, I'm going to try to resolve it myself, since Resmed customer support was zero help. Like you, I find that even a tiny head movement will stop it...for awhile. Then it just comes back. A little frustrating for sure, but I think we can find a solution.
D Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
There should be 2 places for leaks: one is intentional and will be at a vent. The other is between the mask and your face.

If you have a Swift FX, there is another place to look (I know, I have one): The hose from the machine fits over a shorter hose that connects to the mask. Double-check to verify that connection between the short hose and the mask is secure. If you took it apart to clean it, and snapped it back together wrong, you will get a leak at that seam that can come and go.
Post Reply Post Reply

"If you took it apart to clean it, and snapped it back together wrong, you will get a leak at that seam that can come and go."

I recently got out of bed in the middle of the night, and when I came back I inadvertently snapped off the mask at this juncture. I snapped it back together in the dark and thought no more about it. I bet this is the source of the problem.

Dave, at least now I know that I'm not crazy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so for the last few nights I've been trying to pin this down. Tough to do when you're trying to diagnose a problem while half asleep, but here's what I've come up with, and KS Matthew already touched on this. The "vent" for this mask is totally different from my previous P10. The vent directs air forward, somewhat forcefully, and it's very directional! Anything in its path that's close by will generate noise that sounds like a leaky mask. So if the vent is pointing towards something, like your blanket, your pillow case, your hand...It sounds like a leak. Because it's so directional, it doesn't take much movement to direct it away from whatever it was blowing on. Noise goes away until you settle back down and whatever it was comes back into the stream of air...Noise comes back. With your mask on and running, pass your hand a few inches in front of your mask and you'll see what I mean. I could be wrong, but I think this is what's going on and is the source of the intermittent "leak noise". My P10 didn't vent so directionally, but rather dispersed it all around the perimeter of the mask, so didn't have the problem before. I'd love for the original poster to check this out and see if you concur.

D Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hegel I also used the Swift FX mask and tried to get my leaks down by adjusting just about everything in addition to adding extra straps to the headgear but was never able to get the leak rate down.

I switched to the P10's and found not only were they more comfortable, but leak rate was down and the mask stays put when rolling over in bed much better than the Swift FX ever did.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Conversely, I got away from the P10 because of the non-adjustable headgear. I have a fairly small head (I wear a size small motorcycle helmet). The P10 fit fine when I really needed a haircut, but didn't fit well at all once I got my hair cut. I really liked it otherwise, but the lack of adjustability was unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

D Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 08:38 AM)Dangerous Dave Wrote: Conversely, I got away from the P10 because of the non-adjustable headgear. I have a fairly small head (I wear a size small motorcycle helmet). The P10 fit fine when I really needed a haircut, but didn't fit well at all once I got my hair cut. I really liked it otherwise, but the lack of adjustability was unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

D Dave

Dave did you try getting the 'For Her' strap or headgear? You can just buy that one part and attach it to the P10 as it is shorter and gives a tighter fit.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't thought about that, but I like the idea. I really liked the P10 but the fit was too much of an issue. I might just give that a try. I wish I'd thought of that myself. The Swift wasn't exactly cheap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 41 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.