Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

switch to unheated hose for summer?
switch to unheated hose for summer?
I'm only 90 days into what is proving to be very effective treatment and am due via Medicare to reorder supplies. I have been using humidification and a heated hose with AirFit P30i nasal pillows. I prefer a very cool bedroom which was easy to achieve during winter, but will not do much AC during the upcoming summer season and room will be at least 72 degrees for sleeping. Would it make sense for this reorder of supplies to get a non-heated hose for my device?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: switch to unheated hose for summer?
I just turn my heated hose off during spring, summer and fall. I use a hose cover year round, though. There is no need to use the heated hose unless you need it.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can always turn off the heated hose, but I prefer the lighter weight of a regular hose. Also, replacement schedules tend to exceed the actual life of most supplies. This means you will build up an inventory of stuff shortly.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a heated hose and I've yet to turn it on.

And, yes to what Crimson Nape said. I have plenty of extra supplies on hand, and it'll only be two years for me come this September.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for input. When I called supplier they suggested sticking with heated hose year round as I live in the high desert and often one wants humidification year round and thus the need for heated hose. Since I am not a very active side sleeper while the lighter weight unheated hose has some appeal, it would be of limited benefit and the inability to use humidification would far outweigh that slight advantage.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too would suggest staying with the heated hose. Turn it down or off as necessary for comfort. Also if you did have a standard hose, you can still use the humidifier, it could increase rainout probability in certain conditions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here, I just turn the heated hose off in the summer.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: switch to unheated hose for summer? Humidity and dry mouth in morning?
As usual forum gives more accurate and fuller answers/info than my supplier. 
New ? on very dry mouth when waking in the morning ... Would increasing humidification level help with dry mouth?

My humidification level is 4 and temp is 78. I have room humidifier and bedroom is typically 45%. Since from Oscar rpt forum people expected mouth breathing I have been using Somnifix mouth tape and from Oscar think that most if not all mouth breathing is resolved, but not 100% sure of that. The dry mouth in the morning is not really an "issue" to me unless it is indication that settings/therapy could be improved and with that the dry mouth symptom would also improve. I have been focused on other things and while only 90 days into therapy total events per hour during sleep study were 101/hour and now I am often < 1 hour so haven't asked for any suggestion of tweaks to settings. At this point my only interest is whether experimenting with humidity setting would be suggested. As alwaays much thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's what I'd try. Turn the humidity level up 1 notch. See if it helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, there is no need for either a heated hose or added humidity for that matter. Added humidity is a personal preference issue and not a good thing for me during the long Houston summers. In my machine I replace the humidifier module with a ResMed Bypass Module and then use a plain hose. 

Plain, non-heated hoses, are very cheap and may not be worth dealing with a Medicare DME. I don't know since I am fully self pay even though I am on Medicare with a Plan "F" Supplement.  

As for room/bed temperatures, you are on the right track with keeping the room temps low, but running the AC may be costly. You may want to consider buying a bed "cooler" that can help keep your bed at the desired temperature year around. ChiliPad has worked for us.

Sorry, but I read your original question without noticing all the replies. Much of what I posted above does not apply in low humidity areas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 10,972 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
Question Hose volume Willw 4 217 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 289 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 543 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,246 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 495 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.