Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

taking mask off at a.m. - then sleeping more
taking mask off at a.m. - then sleeping more
I have a question, I could not find anything on this. I take my mask off, if I wake up about 1-2 hours before time to get up. You know, bathroom break. I just cant get back to sleep with it on. I know, I probably have enough good sleep, I should just get up, but I dont want to, so I go back to sleep with the mask off.

Does this put more wear and tear on my hear and lungs doing this? It worries me a little. but would just be getting up be better, ,than sleeping without the machine.

I usually use the machine when taking naps on the weekend. Thanks for any input on this subject, and others opionions, and findings.

LH
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: taking mask off at a.m. - then sleeping more
I do that sometimes. But, generally, I try to get back to sleep with the mask on. If I cannot get back to sleep -- and let's say I've gotten at least 5 hours sleep; then likely I'll just get up.

I would think there is some detriment to going back to sleep without ones CPAP. The effects on the heart and other organs are more long term effects -- so, the more one uses it the better.

Personally, I would encourage you to use it to the maximum extent possible.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Been there done that.
Now I try to avoid going back to sleep without the mask.
One thing that may help, get an 18" hose extension, sometimes called feather weight. when you get up for potti break keep the mask on. Just disconnect the hose. this allows you to maintain the mask seal, which somehow seems to be difficult to duplicate in the wee hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you two, for the quick responses. I know I should put it back on, and usually do, for about an hour, but I do get to sleep faster without it. I really think, I should consider just getting up, because, I probably have had enough sleep. Will try to do better. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 10:38 AM)okiegal61 Wrote: Does this put more wear and tear on my hear and lungs doing this?

Yes, it does. It also gets in the way of your adaptation process.

Put the mask back on, and if you can't fall back asleep, then just get up. After a while you'll get used to it and be able to sleep.

Every time you sleep without the mask you are training your mind to do what it's had to do for a very long time -- keep waking you up to breathe. You are not aware of it, but you are constantly waking up to breathe, so your mind gets conditioned to do that.

As long as you keep sleeping without the mask you keep conditioning your brain to wake you up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 10:38 AM)okiegal61 Wrote: I have a question, I could not find anything on this. I take my mask off, if I wake up about 1-2 hours before time to get up. You know, bathroom break. I just cant get back to sleep with it on. I know, I probably have enough good sleep, I should just get up, but I dont want to, so I go back to sleep with the mask off.

Does this put more wear and tear on my hear and lungs doing this? It worries me a little. but would just be getting up be better, ,than sleeping without the machine.

I usually use the machine when taking naps on the weekend. Thanks for any input on this subject, and others opionions, and findings.

LH

what justMongo and bwexler said. sleeping without your CPAP, even for a short period trains your body and mind to do that and so it is better to put the mask back on while trying to go back to sleep. Try something that relaxes you whether music, reading, etc. and maybe you can get drowsy and go back to sleep. When I wake up, I just read a few minutes and fall back asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 10:38 AM)okiegal61 Wrote: I have a question, I could not find anything on this. I take my mask off, if I wake up about 1-2 hours before time to get up. You know, bathroom break. I just cant get back to sleep with it on. I know, I probably have enough good sleep, I should just get up, but I dont want to, so I go back to sleep with the mask off.

LH

definitely agree with sleepster!
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, thanks all, I really figured, I should not take it off and go back to sleep. I should just start getting up earlier, to clear the mask lines on my face, LOL,

I am just used to staying in the bed , till the last possible minute. I actually logged exactly 7 hours last night, which is long, and I still took it off for about 45 more minutes.

so glad I have such knowledged people here. thank you all !!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be that you need more than the seven hours, but your body is so used to being sleep-deprived that it doesn't know it.

The only way you'll ever find out how much sleep you actually do need is to sleep with the mask on. Sleep without the mask doesn't really do your body any good because the quality of the sleep is so low. Plus, for the physical and mental reasons mentioned above, it's actually bad for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I get up at night, I usually take the mask off as I usually get a drink at the same time. I tend to breath through my mouth at times so it gets a little dry as I don't always use the humidifier (just let the air pass over the water in the tank). I usually put the mask back on for that last hour or so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 169 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.